“Lilith,” he said, before giving a nod to the acolyte to leave us.

“Origin Alder.” I bowed my head, showing reverence.

Probably one of the few times that I did, and by the look on his face, he was thinking something very similar. His brown eyes, flecked with amber, gently smiled, showing the beginning of his laughter lines.

“Have a seat,” he gestured in a calm and graceful movement. His dark green suit and long robe, perfectly unruffled.

I sat without pretence, as he waited for me to begin. Running a hand over his short black hair, his brown skin softly glistening in the candlelight.

I looked off into a distance that didn’t exist, as I slowly recalled my long day. “I tagged the target. The catalysts can track him and trace his upper connections to dispose of their networks.” I sighed. “And in sector seven I found nothing but stories and rumour. Yet, the people I spoke to had definitely seen something unnatural. They all spoke of ravaging white flames, and their fear was real. Shortly after that I was pursued for two miles, before I eventually killed the guy. Whether he objected to my questions, or feared their repercussions, I couldn’t say, but he was certainly determined to kill me.” As I paused, I didn’t need to glance at Alder to know that he sat listening, with his eyes closed – as he always did.

“I also found nothing out about the mysterious men while there. No-one that I spoke to could remember anything about either of them. Although after tonight... I have a fair idea of why.”

“And that would be...” he left the rest unsaid, knowing no more was needed.

“Because I met two strangers tonight, and whoever those two are, they’re not like the rest of us.”

They were confident, experienced and far bolder than anyone I had ever met before. Not to mention, irritatingly well-informed.

“The pale blonde used pyro-kinesis, but had unparalleled control and finesse. The dark-haired one had an ability that I’ve never seen nor heard of, even in the archives. He was able to manipulate those around him with elegance and ease.”

Myself included... I really should have shot him.

Although, I knew after seeing them both that it would have been next to impossible. They were far too good.

“I see,” he said, bringing me back. “Yet you are unharmed. So they wished to speak to you then.”

I smirked. “One of them inferred that if I wanted to learn more about the killing sprees, I should visit sector nine, tomorrow.”

“And what will you do?” he smiled, knowingly.

“As if you don’t already know... I’m going.”

Opening his eyes, he finally looked right at me. “Thank you as always, Lilith, for your service as an operative.” His voice softened. “I know that I needn’t ask you to be careful, so I will simply say may nature aid you. I will give you three weeks grace. After that, if you are still pursuing leads, return.”

I nodded, bowing my head lightly as I stood to leave.

“Do not forget to visit Casimir before you leave, once again.”

“If only it was possible to forget Casimir entirely.” He said nothing more, but suppressed a wry smile as I left.

Walking slowly, I headed towards Casimir’s office, but unfortunately he was already making his way towards me.

A slow smile curled his lips, as his golden-brown hair brushed the tops of his ears, his light hazel eyes taunting me with a knowing look. “How long were you planning on keeping me waiting, Lilith?”

“As long as fucking possible, but ideally, indefinitely.” I said, not bothering to curb my dislike.

“Such language, I’ll have to write that up in your notes.”

“That’s fine, just make sure you spell it correctly, I wouldn’t want the origins to think that you’re illiterate. It would give the game away.”

“When you deflect like that, it speaks of your insecurities. We’ve talked about this before.”

“Personally, I think your delusions are more of a problem, you really shouldn’t hide who you are, masquerading as a councillor.”

For a moment his face froze, but within the blink of an eye it was gone. Leaving me to wonder if I had imagined it. Still, I followed him into his office of soothing pale blue and cream walls. We each sat down on a light sofa, opposite one another, their sleek design contemporary compared with the origins wing.

I watched as he settled back, before flicking a remote to turn on the awful whale music that he knew I despised.

That right there is a sign he needs therapy, for his poor taste alone.

“How was your assignment?”

“Wonderful.”

“This only works if you’re honest,” he smirked.

“Yes, that’s true of actual therapy too.”

“I’ve noticed that your sporadic nights of drinking every now and again have lessened recently. At this rate, I’ll be seeing less of you. Although I can still see the anger in you, Lilith.”

“Well, you’re one hell of an incentive not to, Casimir. So I guess you’ve succeeded at something, if only by default. As for the anger, did you ever think that maybe it’s just you.”

“No, as if anyone could find anything about me objectionable,” he said with another taunting look.

It’s clear that he really believes that, not that I’m surprised.

“Your delusions are worse than I realised.”

“We’ll focus on some breathing techniques.” He paused, giving me a sly smile this time. “To try to rid you of that unfeeling sarcasm.”

This is going to be another long session.

Thank you for reading ❤️
(Word count 2230)

A New Age, of old strength and allies (ONC 2023)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें