Chapter Fifteen

Jadis laughed, purplish eyes alight as she took in a deep breath of air in their new home. "I'm so glad that other person backed out. This place is perfect, Loki." She danced over to him, grabbing his hands with a bright smile.

He smiled back, kissing her hands. "Only the best for you, my darling heart."

She glanced out one of the many windows. "Oh, look! One of our neighbors is staring at our house. They must be curious about us. Let's introduce ourselves." She pulled him out of the house, and he let her, still smiling.

Sometimes Jadis forgot how much she loved people. She had been trapped inside her home for so long that she had resigned herself to being an introvert. But now that she was free, she was able to speak with whomever she wished. She could meet someone new every day if she wanted to. With Loki, she never had to be alone again. How absolutely wonderful.

"Hello!" She hurried up to the neighbor that was staring at her. Her skin was a deep pink, with elegant dark purple hair. "My name is Jadis, and this is my fiancé, Loki. We've just moved in."

The other woman was looking at her strangely. "Odeali," she said. Jadis wasn't sure if that was another language or her name. "Where are you from?"

Jadis glanced at Loki, not sure how to answer her. "We're from Askaar," he replied smoothly.

A man with mottled grey and white skin came out from the house, smiling as he put his arm around the woman. "Who is this, Odeali?"

She glanced at him, raising an eyebrow. "Our new neighbors. They're engaged."

"Oh." His eye color changed from a bright silver to a distrustful grey. "Let's go inside, sweet treat." He led her back to the house without another word.

Jadis looked up at Loki, confused. "That was strange."

"Indeed," Loki replied, staring at the closed door.

"I hope we won't have any trouble with the neighbors." She took his hand, slowly walking back to their house.

Loki squeezed her hand. "I'm sure we won't."

#

The next morning, the house was feeling much more like a home. They had obtained furniture yesterday, and a few decorations. Today Jadis wanted to focus on the outside of the house, specifically the garden around the home that had been planted by a previous owner.

They had also discussed their wedding yesterday. Since they didn't have any friends or family, they wouldn't need a ceremony, just a visit to an official. That wouldn't make it any less special though. Loki was going to have a dress commissioned for the day, which they set for in two weeks' time, to give the dress time to be made.

"Someone did such a lovely job here," said Jadis, looking over the garden that was elegantly placed with vibrant flowers. "I hope I'll be able to keep it up. I've never gardened beyond a house plant."

"I have faith in you, my love." Loki kissed the side of her head. "It appears we are about to have company."

She turned around and saw a couple walking towards them with generous smiles. Perhaps not everyone will hate us here. Surely Odeali and her husband or whatever were just a bad-tempered pair. "Hello!" she put her hand in the air in greeting.

The woman approaching waved back, white skin glowing in the sunlight. "Hello there! You must be our new neighbors!"

Jadis and Loki walked to meet them at the end of their yard. "Yes. I'm Loki, and this is Jadis. We moved in yesterday."

"We saw that," said the man. "Our apologies for not being able to greet you yesterday. We had a prior engagement and didn't find the time."

"Please, don't be sorry." Jadis smiled warmly. "It's lovely to meet you. We haven't had a chance to meet most of our neighbors yet." She held out her hand, palm up. The woman placed her own hand in her grip, and Jadis squeezed it amicably.

"I'm Kallin," said the woman.

"And I'm Hawrt." The man's lavender skin matched nicely with his companion's. "A joy to know you. Where do you hail from?"

Loki smiled charmingly. "Askaar. We happened upon this planet while travelling and fell in love with the culture."

Hawrt nodded. "It is a wonderful place. You should see the festivals that the city hosts. Parades, plays, parties, all the drinks you desire. It's a blend of sophisticated art and rampant rave. Do you remember the last one, lovely?" he grinned mischievously at Kallin.

"How could I forget?" she laughed. "What a time we had."

Sounds a little like Sakaar, Jadis thought, but smiled anyway. "I would love to see one of these festivals." But likely not be in it.

They chatted with their neighbors for a little while. Kallin offered to come over sometime to assist Jadis with her new garden. Hawrt told Loki they would have to get beers together.

"Why don't we all go out next week?" he said, naming the date.

Loki shook his head. "Unfortunately, that won't be possible." He put his arm around Jadis's waist, tugging her just a touch close. "You see, Jadis and I are engaged and scheduled to be married that day, so I imagine we'll want to day to ourselves." He grinned down at her.

Something changed in both Hawrt and Kallin's expressions.

"Oh," said Kallin, seeming almost surprised. Hawrt looked troubled. "Well... that's that I suppose. Another time perhaps. I need to get some things done inside the house. Come on, Hawrt." He nodded sharply to Loki and Jadis, then allowed Kallin to tug him away.

They glanced at each other.

"What was that about?" said Jadis. "Do you suppose we offended them by refusing?"

Loki's eyes drifted off as he thought for a moment. "No... I believe the problem lies within our engagement. Something about it seems to set our neighbors off."

She frowned. "Why would that be? We're nothing offensive. We look the same age, the same species, we obviously love each other. Why would anyone dislike us for that?"

"I don't know," he said thoughtfully. "I'll do my best to find out though. You'll make friends yet, darling. Don't worry."

#

Two weeks later, they sat in an office, waiting for the official to finish filling in their marriage papers. Loki had discovered via asking questions at a local pub that marriage was uncommon around there. Many people settled for short- or long-term relationships instead of officially tying the knot. They viewed people who did get married as prudish, judgmental, and likely to try and ruin their fun—things that Jadis or Loki were or would try to do.

The official was kind at least. He smiled and honestly appeared happy for them. Jadis just wished he wasn't the only person on the planet who saw their marriage as a joyful thing.

"All right, I just need the both of you to sign," said the official, turning the paper around and sliding it towards them. He held a pen out to Loki, who took it with a nod.

"Here we go," he said, throwing a smile at Jadis. She put a hand on his knee, beaming. He took a deep breath, then signed the document carefully, ending with a flourish. He passed the pen to Jadis, green eyes glowing. She loved the way the crinkled around the corners when he smiled. She pulled the paper a little closer, running her fingers over its mostly smooth surface. She also signed her name, relishing the sight of her name beside Loki's.

The official took their paper back. "Well, you are now Loki and Jadis Laufeyson. Congratulations and many happy wishes for the future." He made a copy of the document for his files before returning the original to the newly-weds.

They thanked him, then walked out of the office hand-in-hand. As soon as the door closed, Loki laughed and picked his wife up by her waist, spinning her around. She giggled, kissing him when her feet touched the ground again.

"I love you," Loki said, leaning his forehead against hers.

"I love you."