However, even with these grim thoughts swirling around like disturbed mist in my head; I was happy. The orphanage had a little bit of everything that we could ever possibly need. A sizeable kitchen with a dining room attached, a small sitting room that contain several shelves of books ranging from mathematics to history, a bathroom containing a walk-in shower, three bedrooms for the four orphans (Charles and Kane shared a room), a master bedroom where Markus slept, and a living room. Markus homeschooled us in the living room where he would cover subjects befitting of our grade level (where I actively struggled to stay awake in due to all the subjects being things I covered already in my previous life). Vannisa and I would also often help Markus with cleaning since he was in his golden years and suffered an injury to his spine that required a spinal fusion. When it was time to clean the bathroom, me and Vannisa would engage in competitions typically involving row-sham-bow or minor wrestling scuffles.

All in all, things were going swimmingly, and I am genuinely content for the first time in either of my lives.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I was currently reading a history book titled "The Rise of the Renoirs" in the sitting room, relaxing on one of the two cushy blue armchairs with the home. A glass of apple juice sitting in front of me on a polished oak coffee table.

Vannisa: "Dahlia! Dahlia where are you?!"

Dahlia: "I'm in the sitting room V!"

The doors of the sitting room opened and Vannisa entered, her eyes quickly finding me in my favorite chair.

Vannisa: "There you are. Mark was looking for you. Says he needs help preparing the picnic table."

Dahlia: 'Places bookmark' "Sorry V. You know how I get when I'm reading."

I sat up stretching and saw Vannisa giving me an exasperated look.

Vannisa: "Honestly Dahlia. I don't know why your so fixated on reading such boring books."

Dahlia: 'Looks inquiringly at Vannisa' "I just find it simply fascinating V. Besides, I genuinely think it could be helpful."

Vannisa: "I know it can be helpful, but I fail to see how it'll help orphans such as us."

Dahlia: "Don't be like that V. If we don't learn from history, we'll be destined to repeat it."

Vannisa: "Yeah. Yeah. But right this moment, we need you to help set the up the picnic table."

With that, Vannisa turned on the spot and exited the sitting room. I couldn't help but chuckle at her blunt response. I picked up my glass and proceeded to go outside the orphanage to help prepare the table laying serenely under a large birch tree. I turned to look at the town in the distance and saw a black van that was parked on the street at the end of the orphanage's driveway. I guess whoever was in the vehicle noticed that I was looking at them as the engine revved to life and proceeded to drive down the road. It was then that I had a strong suspicion to whom that vehicle belonged to...

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

In New Meridian:

???: Okay, thanks for the info.

I proceeded to place the phone back on the receiver. A feeling of excitement filling my chest. I stood up from my office chair and proceeded to the meeting room. The room was filled with my lackeys, chatting amongst themselves over what their next job was.

???: "Okay! Sit down and shut up!"

As soon as I uttered those words, the chatter died instantly and all of them were sitting back straight looking at me with looks of alertness. But I know why they're like that. They know better than to ignore my orders.

???: "Listen up. I've got a job that I need done. Some of my scouts have found four kids. Three would fetch goods prices as servants or whatever, while the oldest could be a fine candidate for the Pit."

I looked around to see if any of these knuckleheads were going to ask me something stupid. When none of them objected, I continued.

???: "Now. The kids are being held in an orphanage called the Trinity Orphanage outside a country town called Noxton. The only adult individual in the building is an older bloke that shouldn't pose any issues unlike last time."

I turned and looked at a group of four simpletons that couldn't even rob a gas station to save their lives and showed that incompetence in their previous job. I say them shudder and look away like the guilty fools they are.

???: "This is a very simple job and should help get our human trafficking business up off the ground. And should the oldest of the children proves themselves, can be used as a new fighter in our underground fight ring. I want this done by the end of the week no exceptions and..."

I paused as I saw one of the men raising their hand. I closed my eyes and sighed.

???: "Yes. What is it, Lance?"

Lance: "Boss. How do you want us to cover our tracks? I mean... You know..."

???: "If you would've waited a little longer. I would have told you!"

Lance visibly flinched from my shout. Good, I need these idiots to know who's in charge of these operations. I didn't put my blood, sweat, and tears to begin this gang to eventually pave my way into controlling this city's dark businesses.

???: "Burn it. Burn the orphanage to the ground and leave no traces of foul play. Kill the caretaker, he's worthless but don't let a single child escape. If you really must, kill any children making a run for it. But at the very least, get me something that makes us money! Now, a group of four should suffice. We're already stretched a bit thin due to the other gangs trying to wrestle control away from us. So, four people. No more, no less, and no exceptions."

With that I left the meeting room and reentered my office. I walked up to the window that showed me some of the New Meridian skyline.

???: "One day. I'll have this city between my fingers."