𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.

Start from the beginning

James opened his mouth to retort, but she'd already flown up and out of ear shot. His face screwed up with his temper as he straightened his uniform. "You haven't been slacking, James," Frank said softly as he placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Honestly—it's let me spend more time with Alice."

James chuckled mirthlessly. "How's that been?"

Frank went silent, looking out pensively. "I'm going to propose."

James's blood ran cold as he whipped his head to face Frank. "What?" He was breathless.

Frank shrugged. "Seems like the most logical thing to do."

"How is that the most logical thing to do? We're 18, for Merlin's sake! How could we be getting married?"

"I've kind of always known that I'd marry her—like you do with Lily." Frank shook his head with a small smile. "Just seems like the right thing to do."

"I mean . . . does she know?"

"I have a feeling that she does. We've talked about it a couple of times and honestly, I don't really want to waste time, you know?"

"And if she says 'no'?"

Frank chuckled as he crossed his arms and surveyed the flying first and second year reserves—at the whim of Marlene McKinnon. "Then she says 'no', we talk about it and keep going as we are."

"But wouldn't that hurt?"

"I mean sure, but the most important thing is that we're together." Frank tilted his head slightly. "I'd get over it and wait for her to be ready." James's lips parted as he looked at Frank in wonder. And even though they were only a few months apart—Frank being the elder—James felt it. The days, hours, minutes, seconds worth of wisdom that Frank had over him. Frank clapped a hand on his shoulder. "You'll understand when you're in love." Frank moved forward, kicked up and joined Marlene—adding a careful hand to her harsh, yet needed instruction.

"Both of you are built like fucking boxers and I'm jealous." James grinned and rolled his eyes at the sound of Sirius's voice.

"You do just fine as Chaser."

"Yeah but imagine being a beater." Sirius's voice was wispy as he stared up at Frank.

"Sounds like Remus might have competition." James started to snicker as Sirius shoved him with a smile.

"Nah, just want to be him."

"A lot of people want to be Frank Longbottom."

"Including you?"

James was silent for a moment and sighed. "Including me." Uneasy silence hung between them as neither dared to move first. "Have you thought about getting married to Moony?"

Sirius shot him a curious look, but ultimately opened his mouth and closed it again. "Everyday."

James crossed his arms and looked at Sirius, concerned. "What?"

"Honestly, if it was legal, I mean . . ."

"You're taking the piss. We're so young."

"But it's not like we're getting any younger. Would rather spend those years with him as my next of kin at St Mungo's than anything else. And you know, my family's going to come for me eventually. Bella definitely will—she was furious when I didn't take the mark."

"Yeah but wouldn't you want Remus as far away as possible when that happens? So he doesn't get hurt?"

"I mean yeah, but I guess I'm selfish. Would want as much time with him before so I could die happy I guess. We all have to be a little selfish sometimes. And it's not like he doesn't know it."