Adjustments

Once we grabbed Jack, Barkly began driving us to Mary's house. I looked at Jack, and for the first time since we found out our mother had cancer, he was crying. I couldn't help but hug him. "We'll make it through this. I know we will." I whispered in his ear. He grasped my arm tightly. "It was an accident." He whispered back. My eyes widened and I nudged him away. "Jack... What are you talking about? Do you know something?" "He made me.. Please you have to believe me!" "Who made you do what? Jack, are you saying what I think you're saying?!" I whispered worriedly. "He said it was the only way to protect you, so I did what I had to do. For some reason, I believed him. I'm so sorry! Mom was screaming because I.. I slit wrist and held her in their bed until she bled out... That's when dad came upstairs after a late day of work. I grabbed a knife from the kitchen.. I stabbed him in the chest and then strangled him... But I did it all for you! For your safety!" "JACK! What is wrong with you?! They were our parents! Why on my birthday?! I can't believe this is happening right now!YOU KILLED THEM!" "He said that-" I cut him off. "ENOUGH! Who is 'he?' Answer me right now before I tell officer Barkley what you did!" I said angrily. "I..I don't know.. I'm so sorry! But we're family,remember? Mom and dad would want us to be on good terms." "I...I just need to think about this for a REALLY long time Jack. You're a murderer." I said nervously, holding back tears. "I understand, thank you for even hearing me out." He smiled the slightest bit. I sighed deeply and wiped away his tears. "We're here." Said officer Barkly. I slowly got out of the car, Jack by my side. The mansion was old fashioned on the outside and had a huge balcony on the top floor in sight from the front yard. It had mint green shingles and a black colored trim. "Thank you sir." I said and waved goodbye. "Anytime miss, anytime." He replied with a slight smile. Jack grabbed my hand and we headed towards the mysterious house. I rang the doorbell and held my breath, preparing myself for anything. A man opened the door with a smile on his face. He had white hair and a saggy face. He was wearing a tux and had dark brown eyes. "You two must be Alex and Jack! Come in, your dear aunt Mary's been worried sick about you! She can't wait to see both of you!" I stepped into the unknown, my future. From the looks of the inside, my future might not be so bad. There was a gigantic crystal chandelier above us and there was a tall, wide staircase leading upstairs. "Miss Mary is in the study. Let me take your things to your rooms and let you explore." He bowed and smiled. "Thank you." I responded and gave a little curtsy. Jack and I headed into the kitchen. It was absolutely stunning! There were marbled countertops and about ten burners all on one stove! There was also a breakfast bar with the letters 'A&J' engraved in it. Our apartment had only one burner, all white wallpaper, and no silverware. I went out to the back yard and saw a huge deck leading over to an in-ground pool. The water was crystal clear and it was heated. I ran back in the house and towards where I assumed would be the study. There were shelves after shelves of books! I couldn't believe my eyes. I turned around and saw someone staring at me smiling- Mary. "I've missed you and Jack so much. It's been so long since I last saw you. I'm sure that since you're a bit older now, your parents told you about my drinking problem, but I've been completely sober for two years now." She smiled. She was so young and had long, brown curly hair. She reminded me of my mother. I slightly smiled. She walked towards me and gave me a big, comforting hug. I hugged her back. "I have a feeling we're going to become great friends." She said happily. "Me too." I said. "May I show you your room?" She asked after a long, heartwarming hug. "Yes,please." I didn't know what it was about her, but she seemed trust worthy and like a genuinely good person. My room was the first one on the left side at the top of the staircase. The door knob also had the letters 'A&J' engraved in it. She opened the door, and I felt like I was dreaming. There was a queen sized bed with a neon green comforter and the nice hardwood floor was so smooth beneath my feet. The walls were mint green and there was a black desk with a touchscreen computer on it! There was even a walk in closet. The balcony was connected to my room too! My mouth dropped open. "Oh no, you hate it don't you?" She said nervously. "No, not at all! I'm blown away. Thank you so much!" She smiled widely and giggled. "You'll be starting school tomorrow at Brinsbury High School. You'll have to wake up at seven o'clock in the morning everyday. I'll make breakfast for the two of you before school everyday and the bus pulls up right outside next to our lawn. You both need to be ready to go by eight and outside waiting for the bus at 8:05. " She smiled excitedly and hugged me again. "Jeffrey, our butler, is working on dinner now. I'll call you down when it's done." "Okay." I smiled slightly and nodded. "Until then, do as you please." She smiled once more and walked out of my room. I took my things out of my bag, finished getting unpacked, and grabbed a clean pair of clothes. I took a shower and got changed quickly. I was wearing my blue 'day dreaming & star gazing' shirt, with my favorite jean shorts that had the stars on the back pockets. "Dinner's ready!" I heard Aunt Mary yell from the dining room. "I'm coming!" I bolted down the staircase and into the dining room. There was ham, turkey, mixed veggies, and green bean casserole. Jack hadn't come down from his room. "Where's Jack?" Asked Aunt Mary. "He's probably just not very hungry." I said quietly. I finished eating fairly quick and thanked Jeffrey for the food. I also kissed Aunt Mary goodnight and walked to my room. Even though it was only 8:09, I was exhausted, so I just went to bed.
The next morning, my alarm went off at precisely 7 o' clock a.m and since I'm a light sleeper, I awoke immediately. I quickly pulled on my denim black skinny jeans and my blue superman shirt. Before I got the chance to swipe a brush through my hair, the computer screen lit up and said there was one new message. I'll check it when I get back from school. I thought to myself. Jeffrey knocked on my door. "Are you ready for breakfast miss?" He asked. "Yes, thank you Jeffrey." I grabbed my black denim jacket and quickly put it on. There were eggs, bacon, and toast for breakfast. The aroma was so strong. The sweet slippery bacon and buttered toast were so crunchy and delicious. I thanked Mary for the scrumptious food, then headed out to the bus with Jack. Like Mary said, the bus arrived at exactly 8:05. The bus driver looked like she was in about her 30's and had long blonde hair with pointy eyebrows. I walked up the bus steps slowly behind Jack. There were about twenty students, but one looked familiar and they were staring right at me. It was Caleb! I walked over to him. "Is this seat taken?" I asked. He was sitting alone in the very last seat. He smirked and moved over. I quickly took my seat next to him. "Far from home?" He asked. "I'm going to be staying with my Aunt Mary for a while.. How are you already back at school? I thought that you were framed for murder?" I responded curiously. "They found finger prints at the crime scene and they didn't match mine, so they let me go. Now I have a question for you, why'd you approach me when I had handcuffs on at the station?" The bus stopped. We were in front of the school. I stood up and walked off of the bus. "Sorry, I have to go get my schedule from the main office. Bye." I said quickly and headed inside the school. I honestly didn't know why I approached him in the station. All I knew was that today was going to be a long day. Once I finally found my way to the office, I was greeted by my new principal Mr.Jenkins. He had big bushy eyebrows and jet black hair. His smile was lopsided and he had messed up crooked teeth. At least they were pearly white. "My name is Mr.Jenkins. I am your new principal, so let's cut to the chase. This is your schedule." He handed me a sheet of paper showing all of my classes in the order I'd be going to. It also showed the times to be there by and the room numbers. "Thank you." I said. He just nodded and shook my hand. It read:
Science block 1
Social Studies block 2
Math block 3
Language arts block 4
English block 5
Study hall block 6
I headed towards my locker. (My schedule also included my locker number and combination.) '47,5,25' it said. *Click* I got it on my first try. Caleb was right next to me. "Hey." I said. "I guess we're in the same homeroom." He said with a smirk. He showed me his schedule. We had all of the same 4 core classes. We headed into the classroom. I sat next to a boy with short black hair. He had sunglasses on inside and was wearing a black sweater with the hood up. He had black jeans on and the same black and white Converses Caleb had. My new teacher Ms. Paula told us to all introduce ourselves. Since I was new and all, I started. She said to stand while introducing myself. "My name is Alex Lilith Silver. I just moved here." I said. The boy that sat next to me went next. "I'm Will Turner Stevens. I've been in and out of school my whole life." He sat back down. "It's nice to meet you, Will." I said sweetly. "You too." He said. We had a long chat about what was going on in our lives, and it turned out that we had a lot in common. His mother died when he was little and his father left him shortly after. He also used to be very poor before he was with his new foster parents. I told him about my parents and my Aunt Mary. We were already becoming good friends. "Would you like to come over 'my' house after school?" I asked with a grin. "Yes, I'd love to. Want to meet in the courtyard during block 6?" I nodded happily. He smiled back. Once it was the last block of the day, I snuck away to the courtyard behind the huge brick school. There were beautiful, magnificent flowers of all types in the big garden. I sat down at the bench waiting for Will. Seconds later, I saw him approaching. He had a big goofy, adorable grin on his face. I laughed for the first time in a while. "There's a pool at my new house. If you don't have a bathing suit, you can borrow one of my brother's." He swept my side bangs behind my ear. My face reddened. He gave me a peck on the cheek. "As long as I get to spend time with you." He said. We spent the rest of the time talking and telling each other our secrets. In what felt like no time, the bus came. This time, I sat next to Will instead of Caleb.