"...Really? I mean... I figured, seeing as how Judy talks about them."

"Either is possible... Your mother wasn't always the best at being a parent anyways. Your father cared, but he cared more for your mother. They were both equally impatient though. I'm... glad you're more grounded in reality than they were."

"Yeah... I couldn't handle just.. leaving. Not unless... not unless everyone was dead, or left already. Which I mean, in this reach of the city it's not impossible." Crow said, trailing off into his own thoughts.

"Well, kid, that won't happen for a few years if it does, so... make the most of what you got. Before it slips away, and you're the only one left." Anni said.

"I will." He responded.

The conversation ended as Bonbon arrived, but the feeling lingered in Crow's mind for a while after. He decided to keep it in mind, trying to make a difference where he could.

The school season came and went. The feeling of gravitation towards the forest only grew- but so did his commitment to those around him. He started spending more time with Bonbon and Melody, occasionally working with them at the mechanic when he wasn't helping Judy at the flower shop. Anni told him more about his parents, and finally stopped smoking. He even repaired the roof! But, as he thought about it more and more, something was missing.

He always returned to the wall. It was calling to him, he thought. But why? Was it like the nature of sirens? Bringing him to his doom? Or was it based on glorified destiny? Like a hero story? He couldn't decide. But still, he stared at it. He came to the conclusion that whatever it was, it was important. He didn't hear music like that anywhere else. Or, well, in general. Music was rare. But hearing it was so visceral- so deeply soul-touching- that when he left, he almost felt empty when the music faded away.

He'd begun to hear the music elsewhere as well. Anni specifically had a very distinct theme song. The name of it being 'Annihilate'. It was a very loud tune, with lots of bass. Bonbon's theme was 'Close to me'. Crow decided he liked listening to his friends' themes. It was very interesting. Some other people he walked by had theme songs as well. He didn't see them again more than once or twice in the streets, but the music was always a pleasant surprise.

One morning he got up, and he heard the city's theme for the first time. It was 'In The Halls Of The Usurper' playing quietly in the background. Crow smiled. It was the perfect beat to start his day with! He bounced out of bed, grabbed his backpack, and headed to the wall to write in his journal. He ran past the old church, hopped up the steps, and sat down with his back facing the forest. Soon, the first song ended, and Agrobacter started playing again. He relaxed, taking out his pen and an old brand of granola bar, and started to write.

His relaxation was, however, short-lived, as the sirens started blaring and an explosion was heard just below him, making the wall shake. He heard a lot of yelling- something about leaving something or other within contact of an explosive- and then there was screaming, as something got in. There was a loud, guttural screech, and, as Crow peered down into the city, there were Warnters in the city walls. There were gunshots fired, and the thing thrashed around as harpoons were launched at it. One lodged in its tail, and it slammed into the wall in an attempt to get it off. The wall shook, and the stairs Crow had used to climb up there started collapsing.

He took a step back, and picked up his backpack, stuffing all the items back in. He moved along the wall, trying not to attract attention, and wandered over to the other side of the wall. He looked back in the direction of the sounds, and leaned back to put his weight on the stone railing. It was, however, missing from that section, as the wall had started to crumble. He staggered, unbalanced, and his foot slipped onto the crumbling stone. The floor gave way under him, and he fell with it. The wall was tall enough to have him fall for a few seconds, so he kicked off the rubble and prepared to duck and roll.