“Why are we supposed to be watching one?” Sumi asked. “She didn’t fully explain it to me, but what she did explain was, he mastered a breathing style that hasn’t been used for four hundred years, so she wants to know how strong he is.” I explained.

“Which one?” Kiyo asked. “The person we are watching is the red head with the flame mark on his face, and the breathing style is moon breathing.” I answered. 

The door opened and I turned to see Tanjiro and Inosuke walking in. “Hello ms.Aoi.” Tanjiro greeted. “Hello Tanjiro and Inosuke. Meet Kanao, Sumi, Kiyo, and Naho. They will be assisting in the rehabilitation program.” I introduced. 

“Hello there, it’s nice to meet you.” Tanjiro said. “You too.” Kiyo, Sumi, and Naho said. Inosuke looked like he was trying to say something but of course, couldn’t. I am not looking forward to when he gets his voice back.

“How this will work is three challenges. First, you will be stretched on the mats so your body’s are ready. Second, you either tap or avoid Kanao. Third, you have to splash your opponent. You can stop your opponent from splashing you by putting your hand on that cup. Any questions?” I explained. No one said anything.

“Hello Aoi.” I heard ms.Shinobu say. I turned to her voice. “Hello ms.Shinobu. What are you doing here?” I asked. “I wanted to see what you have to work with.” She said, I think she was trying to say she wants to see how strong Tanjiro is, without raising suspicions. 

“Ok. Tanjiro, you will be stretched first.” I said, pointing to one of the mats. He, Kiyo, Sumi, and Naho walked to the mat and they started to stretch his limbs. 

A few mins later
S

hinobu’s POV

After the damage Tanjiro caused on Mt.natagumo I’m interested in how strong he is and how fast his reflexes are. “Tanjiro, your goal is to tag Kanao before all the sand falls to the bottom. Begin!” Aoi exclaimed, flipping the hour glass over. 

Tanjiro went for Kanao, who quickly jumped away, but before she could get even half a meter away, Tanjiro grabbed her wrist. Aoi, kanao, and I were shocked but neither Kanao nor I  showed it. 

“Ara ara~ that’s the fastest anyone has catched Kanao.” I said. Tanjiro let go and turned to me. “Really?” Tanjiro asked, a look of confusion on his fast. I nodded in response. 

“Ok, now you two can do the next challenge.” Aoi said. Kanao and Tanjiro nodded and went to the cups full of medical water, and sat down. “Begin!” Aoi exclaimed. 

Before Kanao could move she was covered in medical water. “I’m so sorry!” Tanjiro eagerly apologized. “That’s what you were supposed to do.” Aoi said. “Do this challenge a few more times. Ms.Shinobu, would you like to speak with him afterwards?” Aoi asked.  “Yes.” I replied. 

10 mins later in shinobu’s lab
S

hinobu’s POV

He beat Kanao everytime. He seems to have hashira level training, but how? I found out who trained him so I sent a letter yesterday and received a reply this morning. Apparently Kuwajima only trained him for a year, and when Tanjiro arrived he had already mastered moon breathing and most of thunder breathing. He said that all he did was help him fully master thunder breathing. Everything else he already knew. 

“Ohayo  Ms.shinobu.” Tanjiro said, as he entered. “Ohayo Tanjiro, sit down.” I said, gesturing to the seats. He walked over and we both sat down.

“So Tanjiro. Can you tell me about moon breathing and how you learned it?” I asked. 

“Sure.” He said, with a huge smile. “My family used to tell me about demons and demon slayers. My father taught me moon breathing, and we had a book about all the breathing styles, so I also learned thunder breathing.” He explained. So he comes from a slayer family. “Were either of your parents demon slayers?” I asked. “I don't think so.” He answered. 

“Now, tell me about moon breathing.” I instructed. “Well, it’s very dangerous, very deadly,  and very powerful. In fact, my katana doesn’t allow me to use it to its full potential. It’s perfect for thunder breathing but not moon breathing.” He said. 

“Why is that?” I asked. “Oh, the blade needs to be able to extend. Without that feature I can’t use the eighth form. It also makes all the other forms harder because it’s a bit too short.” He explained. Very interesting. The sword smith should have known the blade length he needed.

“So do you not use it?” I asked. “I can still use moon breathing, and can still kill multiple demons with one attack. I’m just not as strong as I would be if I had a slightly longer blade.” He explained. 

Wait… Did he say?

“Wait… can you repeat that?” I asked. “I can still use moon breathing?”He asked. “No after that.” I said. “I’m not as strong as I would be if I had a longer blade?” He asked. “No, right in the middle.” I said. “Oh, I can still kill multiple demons with one attack?” He asked. “Yes.” I said.

“What do you mean by that?” I asked. “Most moon breathing forms are both long distance and have multiple strikes that go quite far.” He explained. “That's Impressive. Would you mind showing me?” I asked. “Not at all, but I would need a big open space, to avoid damage.” he answered. 

“Ok. You will show me tomorrow. You may leave and rest now.” I said. He got up and bowed. “Sayonara Ms.Shinobu.” He said, then left. Sweet kid. 

I should tell the master and the others about this. Maybe I should invite them to see how strong moon breathing is. 

Outside the lab
T

anjiro's POV

Of course I didn't tell her everything about moon breathing. I even made her think I'm weaker due to a shorter blade. 

Everything is going according to plan