chapter 2: training begins

4 years later
Tanjiro's POV

  It's my fifth birthday and Oto-san said that I can start training tomorrow. Ani woke me up about an hour ago. After I got dressed we played for a while. Now we are making our way to the living room.

  "Close your eyes." Ani said. "Ok Ani!" I said with a huge smile. I heard the living room door open. "No peeking." Ani said. I chuckled as a response. He grabbed my shoulders and guided me into the room.

  "On the count of three, open your eyes. Ready?" Ani asked. I nodded eagerly. "One…two…three." Ani counted. I opened my eyes and gasped in excitement.

  "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Everyone yelled. I started jumping in joy. "Thank you." I said.

  Oto-san walked up to me. He picked me up and rested me on his hip. "Happy birthday Tanjiro." Oto-san said and kissed my forehead. Oto-san carried me over to the others as Ani followed.

  "Happy birthday snowflake." Douma said. He messed with my hair as Oto-san put me down. "You grew up too fast." Daki said, as she trapped me in a tight hug. "It feels like just yesterday you were trying to eat Douma's hair while he was holding you." Nakime said. I slightly laughed but Douma pouted.

  "That was yesterday." Douma pouted. All of us started laughing and Daki finally let me go. "Stop laughing!" Douma whined. "Akaza, make them stop." Douma said. He ran to Akaza and held his waist. We all stopped laughing because Akaza punched Douma's head off.

  Koku kneeled down to eye level with me. "You ready to start training tomorrow?" Koku asked me. "YEAH!" I yelled in excitement. "What breathing style would you like to learn first?" Koku asked me. "MOON. I like watching you do it." I said with a huge smile.

  Koku smiled at me. "You're so sweet." He said. "Less talking, more partying!" Daki said loudly. Hearing that exited me. "YAY!" I yelled.

  "Tanjiro, wanna play pin the head on the demon hunter?" Ani asked. "What's that?" I asked. "We put a photo of a demon hunter on the wall, you have a picture of the head, we blindfold you, spin you around, and have you try to place the head on the neck." Ani explained.

  I looked at him confused. "Yes?" Ani asked. " I thought we were supposed to kill demon hunters." I said.

  "You can put the head on the hunter's sword like I do." Ani said. All the others started laughing. Even Nakime and Koku started laughing. "I am so proud of you two." Oto-san said. He came over to us and embraced us for about a minute.

  "Prouder than Tanjiro's first words?" Gyutaro asked. "That was a good day for me as well." Koku said. "What happened?" I asked.

  "I was talking to myself while watching you play. I mentioned the hashiras and you said kill. I looked at you confused. Curious about why you said that I said hashira again which you responded to by saying kill. I was over the moon with pride but still confused since I didn't teach you that word. I picked you up and went to the living room. I asked who taught you that. Turned out it was Kokushibou. So I gave him some of my blood." Oto-san explained.

  "Can we play now?" I asked. "Yes we can. Who has the supplies?" Oto-san said.

The next day
Kokushibou's POV

  I start training Tanjiro today. I have to say, he is extremely kind and sweet. I mean, he has stolen the hearts of all us uppermoons and has made master Muzan even softer than when he adopted Rui.

  I'm not upset that I have the honor of training him. I actually volunteered to train him. I would see him watching me and others train. That's probably why he wants to learn moon breathing.