ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ ᴛɪᴍᴇ

Start from the beginning

My heart beats a little faster when he says my girl. I really really hope he asks me out tonight. I mean we had a great day and now we're gonna spend time together at my house, what better place? "Your girl?"

He chuckled nervously as we made our way to the steps leading up to the door. "Well yeah, you don't mind me callin' you that right?"

"Not a bit." When we made it inside I told Johnny he could have a seat on the couch while I went to go call my auntie. It still sounded like a lot of people were in the background and I could hear my mother drunk and yelling with the others. I couldn't help but chuckle as aunt Martha assured me she was alright but she definitely would be staying over for the night. Drinking isn't something my mom does often, only when she's with my auntie does she really feel she can let loose like that. She doesn't even like for my dad to be around her drunk that often so I knew coming home probably wouldn't be on her mind.

"Y'all bein' good over there?" She asked me.

"No, I just invited all my friends over for a crazy party. That's why I had to make sure mom ain't comin' home," I say jokingly.

She laughed and said to me, "Better make sure everything is cleaned up good tomorrow."

I giggled as well before telling her that I was actually just gonna have one friend over and it definitely wouldn't get crazy. She then told me to have a good night and that she loved me before we both hung up. Cherry's room was my next stop to let her know I had a guest.

Glancing at me from behind the book she was reading she asks, "Who?"

"Um, Johnny," I say blushing a bit.

"Marlena..."

"Relax, we lain't gonna do nothin', Sher. I just wanted alone time with him."

"Drivin' around in dad's car all day wasn't enough alone time?"

I crossed my arms and glared at her; I didn't expect Sherri to be completely on board but I also hoped she'd just say okay and let me be. "Come on, how often do we get to have both a car and the house to ourselves? That way I can drop him off whenever he's ready to go, too. He never gets to come over because he can't walk here."

She shrugged and looked back at the book she was reading, "You know I won't say anything but Marlena, he better not make a sleazy move on you."

"You think I'd do somethin' like that when you're right in the next room?"

"I don't know, not in the past but we're older now and I know how some of your friends tease you for still not goin' all the way."

I rolled my eyes and lowered my voice; I didn't like that she thought that about me. "I wouldn't do it because of that and I'm a little offended you think I would but okay."

I started to leave her room but she called my name first. "Lena, can you bring me a snack?" she asks before I fully shut the door.

"Last I checked your legs work, get your own snack." I left her room and closed the door and went back down to the living room where Johnny was flipping through channels. "Want somethin' to drink or somethin'?"

"You got coke?"

"Sure." I went to the fridge and grabbed him a coca cola and myself some water as well the box of fiddle faddle to snack on. Finally, we could just sit together.

"You like Twilight Zone?"

He shrugged, responding slowly. "Sometimes it really gets me thinkin' and sometimes I just don't get it but it's a cool show."

"My mom and dad watch it a lot but I never did. Never paid attention just because I knew they liked it so much," I say making him laugh.

"Sounds like somethin' you'd do."