Chapter 1 - Heartbeat

Hope you like the first chapter of UNLIKELY! <3

Chapter 1 - Heartbeat

-KHLOE'S POV-

I, Khloe Carter has just been sent to detention for the first time. This is infuriating! I wasn't even communicating with my seat mate, Yna! I barely said five words to her: Can I borrow a pen? So how does that make me talkative? And besides, I'm not even that talkative! I'm a total dork at school and I don't really talk to anyone except for my friends.

Right now, I am with my childhood best friends Chantal Taylor and Kit Brooks. "What's so funny?" I raised an eyebrow at both of them. They had been laughing at me ever since I told them about my first detention. "Nothing--We just can't believe that Khloe Carter, the biggest dork in school is going to have a first taste at detention!" Chantal's voice was pretty high, people were barely looking at her.

"I wasn't even talking to Yna. Ms. Laurel just got the wrong idea perhaps. She always does that." I rolled my eyes as I think about Ms. Laurel. A lot of people from her class had gone to detention because of her. It's just that, she gets the wrong idea when she sees something. Pretty idiotic for a teacher.

"Don't worry Khloe. Everything has it's first. And besides, we'll wait for you." Kit assured me. I smiled back at him. So, well, I guess I should head off now or Ms. Laurel might throw something even worse at me.

I got to room 213 where I'd be facing detention. I took a peek at the classroom. There's Ms. Laurel at the teacher's table and there's a--guy sitting at a chair at the second row. Wait, so this means both of us are going to be facing detention for two hours? I even thought I'd be with some students. Hmph. It doesn't matter. I just wanted to get this done and over with.

"Great Ms. Carter, you're here." I can sense the sarcasm in Ms. Laurel's tone. I'm a dork, so basically making eye contact with isn't my thing. I just gave a half-smile and rushed to my favorite place in the classroom. The last row. I was making my way to the last row when I caught myself looking at the guy who was scrolling through his phone. He looks familiar though.

"No no Ms. Carter, you're not sitting there. You're sitting next to Mr. Spencer." She pointed to a seat next to the guy. Oh, for crying out loud. There are like thirty seats in this classroom! Why should she tell me where to sit? I didn't reply any further. I just walked straight to the seat next to him. The guy was a bit startled to see me take my seat. He even moved his chair an inch away from me. Yeah... This is how people treat me. Dorks are absolutely cool though.

A few minutes later, Ms. Laurel went out of the classroom. Sigh. At Least for now she's not in the room since I couldn't resist her looking at me like I'm some shameful object.

It was definitely an awkward silence. Just like the guy, I wanted to take my phone out but it only had 7% battery percentage. I wouldn't want to waste it, what if my mom texts? I sighed. I turned to face the guy and studied his face. Wait a second...

Aha! Now I remember him. He is one of Kit's friends from the basketball team. I wonder what he did that made him get to detention? He must've missed practice because of this.

"Are you into me?" I snapped out of my thoughts and realized that I was already staring at him. I shook my head and sat properly. What an embarrassment, Khloe. "Don't be shy about it. I know you'd go for a guy like me. I'm hot." Then he had this annoying smirk on his face. Hah, is he even joking about himself? A few minutes ago, he looked at me as if I was just one of those school losers that most people don't want to make a conversation with. Right now, he's already making fun of me? How pathetic.

"N-no I-I'm not." My voice was low and shaky. God, why is my mind much functional than the things I say? Crimey!

He chuckled. "I'm sorry, I didn't meant to tease you like that. You were staring at me so I assumed that you have a crush on me or something." Oh I see. He is a bit similar to Ms. Laurel. He gets the wrong idea when he sees things. Talk about epic.