𝟏.𝟑 | 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐠𝐚

Start bij het begin

"Sparrow?" Kidd questioned aloud, reeling back with the same amount of displeasure. However, the frown pulling at the corner of her lips slowly reversed into a coy smirk. "Sparrow's here? I can make that work."

"I thought we were here for a ship," Frederick interjected, "but the two of you appear more focused on bird-watching."

De Soto chuckled at the prince's clueless nature and shook his head, but didn't correct the misunderstanding. Kidd did not look nearly as amused. "We're working on passage, but I thought we might stop at the tailor's first... unless you wished to continue our voyage in your soiled garments?"

"Lead the way." Anne nodded, accepting the offered plan before the invitation could be rescinded. The winds of the seaside were brisk and her damp undergarments didn't help the chill either.

They continued down several more alleys before finally stumbling into the tailor's shop. Kidd and De Soto were at least vaguely familiar with the shopkeeper because they immediately struck up a conversation while the disheveled royals were sent to change.

After several rotations of garments and boots being flung around the corners of the room. Anne finally stepped out from behind the changing board with a look of confusion.

"These are men's clothes."

Captain Kidd nodded her head in agreement. "Another strong observation."

"Why am I wearing men's clothes?" Anne question, reiterating her confusion.

"To maintain your honor," Kidd replied. Without making a request, Kidd then tied Anne's hair back into a ponytail that was quickly hidden beneath a bandana and hat. "We're trying to avoid the wrong kind of attention. Believe me, this is for your own protection."

"But you're not dressed like a man," Anne innocently retorted, but maintained her look of skepticism.

"I know my way around a blade well-enough to establish a strong reputation," Kidd retorted with a scoff. "You walk back out into that port dressed like me, well those sailors will only take it as an invitation."

"So I'm to pretend I'm a man," Anne again asked for clarification.

Kidd nodded her head. "A secret kept between our small group until we get you home. A chivalrous deed well worth the reward you're going to give me when you're safely delivered."

"You're the ones that kidnapped us in the first place," Anne reminded her, unamused.

"A deed you'll overlook if you want to be safely returned home," Kidd repeated herself. "Don't forget that there are plenty of scoundrels that would pay a pretty penny for your heads."

"How gracious," Anne scoffed.

"You'd do well to think so," Kidd unironically agreed before turning toward her partner. "De Soto, is his royal-pain-in-the-arse finished yet?"

De Soto sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Ay, mio dios, It does not matter, Príncipe! Pick a bandana and let's go."

"Of course it matters," Frederick's voice echoed from behind his changing board. "I may be disguised as a pirate but I refuse to look like a savage."

Kidd huffed under her breath, rolled her eyes, then pushed her way back behind the changing board despite Frederick's protests. A second later, she was dragging the prince out by his ear, a bold display few had been able to successfully get away with.

Frederick frowned as he dusted himself off, finally free from the captain's grip once outside the shop. "What if I'd been indecent?"

Kidd scoffed and offered De Soto a knowing look with a sly grin. "Ain't nothin' I ain't seen before. Don't flatter yourself."