Ch. 17

*kicks down door* YA MISS ME?

--------------------

Achillean had visited Ataraxia a number of times by now. In the outside world the floating islands felt like a dream, a hallucination conjured by his mind that no longer felt real out in the rest of Ardonia, where the scales were tipped in favor of gravity. It never ceased to amaze him how accustomed the Ataraxians were to it; the kids who'd lived there their whole lives, they had an excuse. But the beings who had known the outside world, how could they not be amazed every day at the marvel of magic and geology that they were lucky enough to call home?

He had said as much to Aegus once, who pointed out, "well, the fact that I don't have to stop you from walking into trees anymore seems to prove that a person can get used to this place." Achillean couldn't argue that point. But still, every time he crested the ridgeline and the floating islands came into view, the unreal became real again and brought the same wonder with it.

Achillean wondered what other places like Ataraxia existed in the world. Places of magic, places where the impossible was possible, places that were like dreams made real. There were so many legends, surely at least some of them had to have a basis in truth. He imagined palaces under the sea, cities carved inside glaciers, fish that swam between the clouds or turtles that carried islands on their backs.

"Have you ever heard of frostbiters?" Ingressus asked him as they walked.

"Of what, now?" Achillean asked.

Ingressus pushed a branch out of his way. Achillean had noticed that the Voltaris tended to avoid the main streets in Ataraxia– or maybe that was just because Aegus was nearby. He didn't bolt for cover like he had the first time Achillean had met him, but his caution was still obvious.

"They're predators that live in the wilds of Northwind," Ingressus said. "They're even bigger than bears, and they hunt by sensing their prey's body heat. They have clear blood that's cold enough to freeze your toes off, so even wounding them is dangerous. Their fur is frozen into needles, horns like icicles... they say there's a constant stain around their mouths from frozen blood."

"Well, they sound terrifying," Achillean remarked. "Are they real monsters, or legendary ones?"

"I've seen one."

Ah. So he had once lived in the mountains.

Achillean didn't know much about Ingressus's past. He'd come close to asking once, but even nearing the topic had made Ingressus's walls visibly go up. So, despite the curiosity he'd had ever since he'd met the Voltaris, Achillean had let it go.

Achillean wondered how he had ended up in Ataraxia, but he wouldn't ask. Though he couldn't stop his mind from trying to piece together the tidbits of information he learned, Achillean had already decided he wouldn't ask unless the information was offered. He doubted they were close enough friends for that.

Ingressus paused at the edge of the stand of trees, glancing down the street from the shelter of a tree trunk.

"Aegus is on the other side of town," Achillean said. "He can talk to Keleus for hours about the old days."

Ingressus muttered something about "can't be too careful," but left the cover of the trees behind and walked to a nearby storefront, knocking on the counter. A Nestoris around their age appeared from the back at the sound, shaking a strand of hair out of her face.

"You here for Galleous's order?" she asked.

"Yes." Ingressus dug out some coins, and the Nestoris pulled a box from under the counter.