1 - 𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐓𝐨 𝐉𝐮𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞

A stinging mind...

Gods, how it hurt. How the pain swelled within her head like an expanding balloon. It rang like a loud bell, demanding to be noticed. It felt as if she had just woken up from a coma, yet her eyes refused to open. Her eyes refused to lay witness to the dry, flaky ground she felt her weak limbs lying upon. Her mind became a prison, shutting off all senses, save touch.

She tried desperately to stagger to her feet, but it felt impossible, as she felt her shaky legs collapse beneath her weight. Her breath hitched as she hit the ground with a thud, ending up in a raspy groan of pain. She tried once more, and fell once more too. However, this time, she landed on her back, and vaguely faced the blinding rays of the sun. It was a sunny day, wherever she was.

Painstakingly, she tried to open her eyes, and this time, they stayed open.

She was indeed looking up at the sky.

Bird Pokemon cawed overhead, swooping upon the wind, gliding effortlessly through the cool breeze hitting her face. She felt the ringing in her ears beginning to cease, as her conscience began to ooze back into her residually. She finally managed the muscular strength to pull herself off of her back, so she was now kneeling. Her back ached, and her bones twitched within her. Brushing away a vexing strand of deep blue hair that was obscuring her eyes, she looked about.

She was on a beach.

It was most certainly a very meagre beach, that much she could definitively say. It wasn't very impressive, but the sea it faced was a whole other beast. It stretched on endlessly, no other land in sight. The waves lapped at the shore like a tentative Pokemon lapping up a drink. However, the greatest of that discovery of that moment was about to unfurl for her.

She was not alone on this beach.

Strewn by her side, lay a boy. His hair colour a similar denim blue to hers. She clasped her hands over her mouth, and scrambled to the boy's side, shaking his unconscious body to try and get him to stir. It seemed in vain, until a small groan of discomfort could be heard coming from the boy. His voice sounded innocent and gentle, as if he were sleeping soundly, rather than awaking from what felt like a coma for the pair of them. He slowly eased his head up, but he was facing away from her. He looked around confusedly, before turning to meet her, and springing backwards in surprise.

"Ah!" He yelped, edging backwards, as the girl approached nearer.

"Woah, hey. I'm not gonna hurt you." She reassured. The boy continued to breathe heavily.

"How do I know that? Who... who are you...?" He asked, trembling. The girl took some time to look down at herself, and really pondered his question. Who was she? She took one look at her hands. Her memories? They had all been fizzled out unknowingly. Her appearance? She couldn't see herself in the mirror; she had no idea.

"I think I need to ask myself that too... I can only remember my name."

The boy paused for a moment, thinking about himself. Just like the girl, he too could only remember his name. Though he waged wars with his mind to try and clamor for any vague, ever so distant memories, none came to mind. All that came was his name.

"...Same..." He responded, easing his threatened posture. "What is your name?" 

"Akari. What's yours?" She asked. The boy tentatively moved towards her, shuddering slightly as she moved back to give him some room on the hot sands. She breathed slowly, trying to make herself seem as unthreatening as possible.

"Rei..." The boy mumbled, as Akari smiled to herself.

"That's a nice name. Say, where are we?"

"How should I know? I've lost all my memories t-too." Rei replied, as Akari nodded, realizing that she'd asked a stupid question, and was thus owed a stupid answer by prerequisite.