Chapter 2

"Your room. NOW!" Melanie demands, as they get into their lovely castle.

"Fine mom," he says in a sarcastic voice.

She rolls her eyes, "ni me haga, tengo que tratarte como un niño."(don't even, I need to treat you like a child) She says.

"One I didn't start it Ese maldito ramita lo hizo(it was that damn twig that did it) and, two I didn't know that Donna was our host hermana."(sister)

"There would be a lot of things you would know if you weren't fighting with that muñeca(doll) and paying attention, like I said!" She irritatedly said.

*creeking*

"Mami?" Says a soft sweet voice from above the stairs. The two siblings look up to see the small child rubbing their eyes and a teddy bear in her arms from her grandfather before he passed.

"Oh hey Mi amor, why are you up so late? Did me and your uncle wake you?" She asks as she walks up the stairs to carry her half asleep baby girl. "Mhm" the four year old girl hums with a nod. "I'm sorry? Right shadow?" Asks The lady of the house passive aggressively towards her brother.

"Right, sorry little one," he says, looking down at the ground, "I'll be in my usual spot," he said walking towards the door.

"Yes, and think about what you did today." She whispers, as she rocks her daughter back to sleep. He looks back at his sister and niece and gives her a nod and leaves.

As he leaves, she walks towards her room and places her joy under the covers before getting ready for bed and cuddling and holding her daughter close. "Te amo, mi amor."(I love you, my love) She kisses the top of her daughter's head, as she thinks of her younger brother.

"GOD DAMN IT!," he says kicking a stool across the open floor, "ESTUPIDO, IDIOTA!,"(stupid, idiot) he yells as his flips a table spilling tools all over the floor, "FUCK!, FUCK!," he yells over and over again as he proceeds to just punch a support pillar until his knuckles bleed, "Why the fuck do I always fuck up and hurt her," he says as he looks up, "Mom, Dad help me... I... I wish you guys were still here," he says before he hears a voice behind him.

"I wish they were still here too." Someone whispers, they place a hand on his shoulder to turn him around.

"Mel why... why am I a fuck up," he says his voice breaking.

"Don't say that, don't ever say that." She says as her words crack. Her hand on his cheek.

"I am," he says.

"You are not! We all make mistakes." The lady says as she looks down at her little brother.

"I AM, LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TODAY I EMBARRASSED YOU!" he yells.

"No you did not , I just didn't want YOU to be embarrassed. I don't want anyone to talk bad about you and I won't let it happen! Hermanito yo te amo y no quiero que ellos hablen mal de ti."(brother I love you and I don't want them speaking bad about you) She whispers the last part. "Imagine them calling you a child about this? I don't want that." She finishes. He turns away from her not wanting to look at her.

"Shadow Please." She whispers. He stays quiet as he rests his fists on the beam. "Shadow. Please listen to me." She repeats

He finally starts to break down crying. She doesn't say anything else but pulls him back and holds him into her arms as he cries.

He tries to pull away from her, but she pulls him back. "Stop fighting me and listen." She whispers into his ear, "you will never fail me, understand?"

"No, stupid, stu..pid," he says as he finally gives up and drops to his knees. She drops with him as she feels her heart break from her brother's past pain, knowing this is not just about failing her, but failing to protect her for their parents.