Chapter 1: A Striking Offer

Start from the beginning

"I can take over the gym! And you can ask for a break at Rustboro! I'm sure they'll let you if its medical." Max argued. I took a deep breath.

"Max, I-" I stopped myself when I heard a crowd of people outside.

"Maples, we want to know to truth about Norman's Maple's death!"

"The world has been in the dark about Norman's death! Please, speak the truth and let the world know!"

"Was Norman's death really from a heart attack, or from something mor-"

"Great, the reporters are back," I groaned softly, putting my hand on my face in annoyance. Recently, a certain news cast people were trying to pry out Norman's death from us once every month. When Dad died,  We never gave the public any comments about Dad's death. Even people in Petalburg City didn't exactly know what happened.

How he was murdered.

Yet as much as they irritated me,  I fear them just as much. If I wasn't careful, I could end up on TV.  Then all my friends could see me.  A broken girl nothing more than a shadow of her old self. I feared their disappointment.

"Man, I thought they would stop coming months ago. You should've told me May," Max commented, pulling me out of my dwelling thoughts. I grabbed Max's and guided him out of my room. 

"Let's go downstairs to Mom.  And lower your voice, we want them to think we're not here." I quietly scolded.  Max made an 'o' with his mouth nodded. We headed downstairs.

Midway down, Mom greeted us. It must've been some kind of expression I had because her greeting was 'different'.

"Is it already that time of month?"

"MOM!!" I whispered sharply, completely horrified of her wording.

"What?" Max asked innocently. 

"Nothing!" I quickly tried to end the conversation. Max crossed his arms. I should've known that wouldn't work.

"May I deserve to know! What's the hidden message?"

"Max, please! Just drop it" I sweat dropped.  There was no way I would give Max the 'talk' when there's a bunch of raging reporters at our door.

"Maples, we hear your voices. Please open up the door for a few questions." Few questions was a understatement. A barrage of question came through the door. I cursed quietly.

"Why did you not comment about Norman's death on the day of his funeral?"

"Please come out the door and answer our questions!"

"May Maple, can you explain why you were not participation in last year's season of pokemon contest?" I bit my lip at that question.

"May, was the reason you quit was because of your famous rival Drew Hayden?" I did a double take. I've haven't even thought of him since forever.

Drew - That name brings a ton of memories.

My rival, my friend, my crush, and (admittedly) a potential lover.

But that was all before this mess. I had nothing to do with his life anymore and vice-versa. I cut the strings to our relationship. To all of my friends.

Max huffed, "Can't I just use my Sceptile's leaf storm attack to blow them away."

"Believe me, I've thought of using my pokemon, but that would get on camera. It will make us a bad, and it'll definitely be on the paper. We can't act rash," I replied.

"I don't care! They're invading our privacy!" Max clearly had it. He stood up and grabbed his poke ball. I pushed him back down, "Well I do! I can't dishonor Dad's gym!" Max opened his mouth but closed it again.

I can't disappoint my dad anymore than I already have. The thought burned through my head. Mom, Max and I sat down as we waited till the reporters reluctantly left our house. I glanced at Max, "I'll take up the offer."

"What?" Max completely forgotten his offer to me.

"Going to Kalos. I'm getting tired of tiptoeing everywhere I go here.  My pokemon also deserve to be out in the wild again." I leaned back on the couch. Max beamed at me, "May, that's awesome! I already booked your ticket to  Lumiose City. That's where professor Sycamore's lab is! I also signed up an appointment for you to see him-"

"Wait, you planned everything out? What if I said no?" I cut off Max's blabbering.

"Well, I planned that too," Max answered sheepishly .

"I didn't really have a choice did I?" I sighed, bringing a throw-pillow to my face. Max smiled, "Flight's in two days."

"...I'll get packing," I dragged myself upstairs.