【𝟶𝟶𝟻】 a decision to make

Start from the beginning

He simply desired a peace resolution.

Before anyone could continue the current, the door of the room flew open and a frantic figure dashed inside. Everyone's attention was immediately drawn to their familiar pal, who was breathing heavily and eyes wandered around frantically.

"Specs, what's the matter?" Jack stood up, the newsies encircling the boy with curious faces and narrowed eyes.

It took Specs moments of deep breaths, slowly managing to steady himself. Throughout his unstable presence, he couldn't contain the delightful smile on his face.

He passed down the piece of paper he carried toward Jack. "Thought you'd wanna see this, cowboy."

Jack carefully unfolded the paper, scanning the words written on it. The boys gazed confused from behind him, wondering the reason for their companions deep thought.

From outside, they could only see a concentrated Jack Kelly, but on the inside, the cowboy was overwhelmed. The words on the paper had stumbled him upon an opportunity that could take him to the next level. And not just him but also his friends had the chance.

It was a great opportunity for them, but realization hit him and doubts brimmed his mind of what everyone else would think. It was like standing on a crossroad, having no idea which way to take.

With animation, Jack spoke up, "Guys, this is it! Maybe we could go here."

The boys gazed at the piece of paper strangely. They were perplexed by the sudden suggestion, finding it unnecessary, out of the ordinary. A minute didn't pass when Jack felt all their questionable faces, unable to comprehend his advice.

"You do realize what it says here?" David inquired, followed by agreements from around the room. "This is a show we're talking about. What good would it be for us anyway?"

"Think about it. If we join, we might have a chance to win more than what we do already," to his dismay, nobody seemed satisfied, leaving him baffled.

"Come on, don't be like that. Don't you guys grow exhausted from doing the same thing everyday. And not only that, but get mistreated? Well, I'm done. For once, I actually want this for a better change. Wouldn't anyone want to be seen as a star instead of just a street rat? Feel like you actually succeeded in your life?"

An uncomfortable silence overflowed throughout the entire room, all of them shared shocking glances. Their minds whirring with thoughts, processing what had just been spoken.

"Be grateful I'm on your side with this one, cowboy." Race coldly replied, though Jack could notice the corner of his lips lift up a bit.

Race spun around to face the large crowd that gathered in anticipation. "Well folks, cowboys right. We've all been disrespected since children. I think it's about time we show everyone what we're worth."

To Jack's surprise, Race's speech was met with unanimous approval from the crowd. Cheers began to erupt once he finished speaking. Their enthusiasm was palpable. It made Jack beamed with light and become eager to get started on the plan.

"So what's it gonna be?" Jack yelled, the huge crowd roaring in excitement.

"We're with you, Jack," Mush elevated his fist in the air, an encouraging expression plastered over his face.

"Great! Now, we only need to inform the others. Try to bring them together," the newsies exchanged glances at the recommendation.

"Why would we let them know? We're enough," Mush commented, followed by everyone's agreements in unison.

Jack racked his brain, searching for the most accurate words to encapsulate it. They all had a unique opportunity as well as they did. He couldn't stand here and ignore the potential of adding others.