Chapter 18: First Match Day

Start from the beginning

"You know the game plan Hallie. Stick to it." Jill says as the official raises their board.

Lindsey and Alex come off, as us two enter the pitch. Sam heard me talking about being compact, so she warns Tobin and Julie about what I want.

I look at Tobin and she looks unsure, so I give her a subtle nod.

"Put your trust in her." I can hear Sam say.

After the restart, midfield are compact and winning balls, but they can't get it up the field.

Marie-Antoinette Katoto wins the ball from behind Julie, scoring their third goal of the match.

Becky huddles the team desperately, to try and save ourselves.

"Mind if I speak?" I ask.

"Go ahead."

I explain everything I said on the bench, adding a few words of encouragement.

"Understood." Christen says before getting into position.

I know the team have taken my instructions, as we are playing much better, France's defence keeping us out.

In extra time, Sam plays a nice pass forward as I shoot, but its kicked up the pitch.

Crystal brings it down with her chest, yet again playing it forward.

A cheeky chip and I've got the ball. I pull the ball through the defenders legs, before hitting it into the back of the net.

Scoring the first goal of the year and my first goal, I grab the ball from the back of the net, quick on the restart.

Feeling the roar from the stadium, brings a smile to my face.

For the next 3 minutes, I play with a smile on my face until the full time whistle is blown.

I take my time to go round each and every one of my teammates, those who played and those who didn't.

Getting into a team huddle, Jill starts. "First of all it's disappointing to lose today, we'll go over things in more detail tomorrow. Congratulations on ur first goal Hallie, even though it's in unfortunate circumstances. As a team, I could see the change in play once I brought subs on. Although, I don't like nobody even asking me about it first, it was an excellent way to build our play back up, that I didn't notice."

"As Jill said, well done Hallie. You deserved that goal and from what you said to me at half time, and the way you changed play, I think everyone can see how much of an asset to this team you're going to team.

I blush, making eye contact with Jill who smiles at me.

"There's positives and negatives to take from this game, but we'll go again against Spain." Becky continues. "Team on 3. 1,2."

"Team!" Everyone shouts.

In the locker room, I get changed after showering before heading to the press conference.

"What did you think of the teams performance today?" A reporter asks.

"There's always things to improve on and as a top level team, you want to be winning these games. Especially before the World Cup. Positives to take include those last twenty minutes where we pressed the ball, had goal scoring opportunities and stepped up our game."

"Your first cap and goal to go with today. How does that feel?"

"Always feels good to get a first appearance, more so the National Team. Would of liked to get my first goal, in a win, but a goal is a goal."

"Any words shared from players after the match?"

"Like I said, things to work at more, but we go again against Spain."

"How are things feeling at your first camp?"

"The girls are all really welcoming and I've made friends with everyone. There's certain people I can go to about different things and there's a really nice family sense."