chapter seven, seasons

Start from the beginning

          "Hey, Robby," Bowie raised an eyebrow at the seemingly joyful smile on his best friend's face. "What's gotten you grinning like a dumbass?"

          "I did karate on a tree yesterday," Robby said, explaining nothing. He let Bowie into the flat, and they instantly crashed onto the couch, significantly more tired than they already were after skating across town.

          "That's a new one but okay," Bowie yawned, watching through cracked open eyes as Robby seemed to sway from side to side with excitement.

          "Mr LaRusso thinks I'm getting really good, yknow. He doesn't like the idea of using karate to compete but I think I could do it."

          "Sure, Rob," the curly haired boy agreed, virtually asleep.

          "Oh, and Daniel nearly did this two footed kick. Do you know how to do a two footed kick?"

Sighing, Bowie wrapped their arms around Robby's knees as he came walking past where they were sprawled out on the couch, pulling the boy down with a thud so that he landed on top of them.

          "Let me sleep, Keene," they groaned, receiving an elbow in the ribs from Robby in retaliation.

          "What about takeout and a movie marathon?"

          "Wake me up when food is here, then we'll start. I ran like, ten miles today, and then skated here."

          "Damn, okay," Robby rolled his eyes, giving in and sitting up, settling down at the end of the couch and pulling Bowie's legs into his lap.

          "Did I tell you I met Daniel's daughter today, though?"

          "If you did, I slept through it," Bowie admitted. "What did you think of her?"

          "She seems nice," Robby shrugged with an attempted nonchalance that made Bowie snort. "Mr LaRusso invited me to stay for dinner after training, too." 

          "Is this still part of the ruse to piss off your dad?" the half-asleep boy muttered, having to open their eyes when Robby didn't verbally answer, instead only giving a small shrug. 

Too tired to think deeply into it, Bowie rolled onto his side, nestling his face in one of the couch cushions and kicking Robby a little accidentally as he moved. 

          "If you order pizza, I promise I'll be awake when it gets here." Their voice was muffled by the pillow as they spoke.

Sighing softly with a small smile, Robby nodded, pulling out his phone to order food on and resting his arms on Bowie's legs as he did so. 

          "If you take a nap now, does that mean you'll be awake enough to spar me after the movie marathon?"

          "We'll see, hotshot," Bowie chuckled lightly, finally able to relax enough to get some sleep.

The next morning, Bowie stood, overlooking the bowl at the skatepark, watching Robby attempt to conquer a new trick. Robby had let him sleep for a couple hours longer the evening before, saving their food and warming it up in the microwave before starting the movie marathon, so he was feeling more rested than he expected to for their morning of skateboarding. 

Dropping into the bowl once Robby surfaced, Bowie attempted a couple jump tricks off the ledge, landing all of them but not particularly neatly. Both he and Robby had been attempting a hand stall on the side of the bowl, and either of them were yet to achieve it.

Bowie bent his knees, bracing himself low enough to place his hand at the top of the bowl, using his other hand to hold the board to his feet. He got most of the way around before the board slipped out from under his feet and he slid down on his back into the bottom of the bowl.

          "That's the closest either of us have gotten yet," Robby grinned, offering Bowie a hand up. 

          "One more shot before coffee?" Bowie asked, taking a seat, kicking their feet as they dangled into the bowl.

          "Sure," Robby nodded, fist-bumping his best friend and pushing his long hair behind his ears. "Wish me luck."

Robby angled the nose of his skateboard over the edge, positioning his feet before tipping in, going up and down the raises a couple of times to pick up speed before attempting the trick, planting his hand. Unfortunately, his other hand didn't grab the underside of his deck in time and the board slipped out from under him.

Bowie watched, wide eyed and impressed, as Robby shifted his weight onto the hand that was planted, his legs raising in the air until he was angled in a one-handed handstand.

Their eyes met across the bowl, both wide with surprise as Robby balanced for five or so seconds before collapsing to the side, causing Bowie to erupt in fits of laughter. 

          "Fuck you, Woods," Robby scowled, picking himself up off the floor and walking over to where Bowie was sitting: "That was impressive and you know it."

Bowie raised his eyebrows playfully.

          "In a gymnastics competition, sure."

          "Alright, alright," the shorter boy scoffed, swatting at Bowie's arm playfully.

          "We'll go get coffee if you admit that I got the closest to the hand stall with that."

          "Like hell you did," Bowie snorted, standing up and stepping on his board, leaving Robby behind, sulking at his loss before he got up and skated after his best friend.