25. i didn't lie

November 11, 1975

THEY WERE LAUGHING very non-discreetly at an old woman wearing a large hat that was a rather ugly shade of green. Almost like the color of vomit.

They were sitting at this tiny shop in Hogsmeade that no one ever really went to. The woman looked at them suspiciously, letting out a huff that made the two teenagers laugh even louder.

She glared at them in response, tilting her head up and stalking out of the shop. It took them a minute to compose themselves, but eventually, they calmed down.

As they started talking about something else, Nesrin felt James's knee knock against hers underneath the table. Her cheeks warmed. She was suddenly glad for her dark skin hiding the red glow of her face.

This newfound realization of her crush on James was slowly killing her. On one hand, she wanted to just grab his face and kiss him, to hell with the consequences. But on the other hand, she was scared shitless of his rejection. What about Lily?

He couldn't just get over a years long infatuation with someone else. It couldn't possibly be that easy, could it?

And still, the way his gaze lingered on her features and the way his smile softened at the corners when she laughed was indication enough that maybe, just maybe, he felt the same way.

Once they decided it was time to leave the shop—which was totally their decision and not at all because the owner kicked them both out—and maybe get some ice cream before heading back to the castle, they stepped outside only to find that it was pouring down rain.

"Shit," James cursed.

He grabbed Nesrin's arm and led her away from the shop and toward a small, deserted covering that looked sufficient enough for them to hide under.

"I guess we have to wait out the rain," Nesrin said, leaning forward to glance as high as she could look at the sky.

James only hummed in response, not really seeming like he even heard what she said. She turned to glance at him only to find him staring at her.

She blinked, turning away. She willed the blush on her cheeks to go away. She hated feeling like this—vulnerable. Like all of her next moves were to be dictated by James and what he said or did.

She tried to stop thinking about the boy beside her, but he kept staring. She could see him from the corner of her eye. For a few seconds, she said nothing and kept her eyes forward. If he wanted to look at her, he could go right ahead. That was none of her business. It didn't bother her in the slightest.

But then seconds turned into long, painful minutes without his staring ceasing. She wanted to both bathe in his attention and whack him over the head with it.

Finally, having enough, she turned her body to face him and demanded, "Stop that."

"Stop what?" he said, undeterred.

"Stop staring at me." She scowled at him.

"Why?"

"Because."

"Because what?"

Her train of thought was lost when he stepped closer to her, his familiar scent of sandalwood and faint cologne filling her senses until every single inch of her was brimming with the need to be even closer to him.

His hand reached out to tug on a lock of her hair. She didn't even have it in herself to narrow her eyes at him. His hand slid down so that it was cupping her jaw, his long fingers wrapping themselves around the back of her neck and his thumb resting on the space just above her jaw. His eyes flashed with something she couldn't place.

He leaned closer, his breath fanning across her face and his gaze stolen by her lips.

"Can I kiss you?" he breathed, his eyes trailing back up to look into hers.

She barely noticed herself nod before he connected their lips in a soft but demanding kiss.

His lips were so gentle against hers, asking her what she wanted, giving her everything she desired. Her fingers wrapped around the collar of his sweater, bringing his head down closer to hers.

Their mouths moved slowly against each other, as if they had all the time in the world and wanted to savor every single beautiful second. James took his time kissing her, taking her bottom lip between both of his and caressing it with his touch. Sinking his teeth into her soft enough to not hurt but hard enough for her to moan into his mouth.

Every single inch of her felt as if it were on fire. Every place he touched burned. She wanted everything in that moment. Everything she could think of that involved James Potter. She wanted every part of his body, wanted all his dreams, all his aspirations. She wanted all his nightmares, all his demons.

And most of all, she wanted his love. She wanted to feel what it felt like to be loved by someone like James Potter.

One of his hands touched her waist at the same time her fingers tangled with his hair. The second her lips parted with a gasp, he slid his tongue into her mouth.

Oddly, he tasted like honey.

When they pulled away panting for air, their eyes locked. Neither of them could keep the wide grins off their faces.

"What happened to winning over Lily if it was the last thing you do?" Nesrin whispered sarcastically, her hands still holding his face and his arms still wrapped around her torso.

His grin got even wider, his dimples making an appearance. Nesrin's breath hitched. He leaned his face even closer to hers, his lips hovering over hers and the tip of his nose brushing the tip of hers.

"That was before," he replied, pressing her body closer to him as if he never wanted to let go.

"Before what?" she asked, suddenly in a trance by him.

"Before you fucking said Charlie Bayard is hotter than me."

She let out a surprised laugh at his admission. Her lips turned up in a smirk.

"I didn't lie," she said mischievously.

He let out a groan, pouting at her.

She only smiled and let out a soft chuckle before planting her lips on his again.

"But I like you more," she whispered against his mouth.

He smiled down at her, pushing away a strand of hair falling onto her face. And then he frowned.

"Hey! You didn't take back that you think he's hotter than me."

She only smirked in response, untangling herself from him and starting to walk away as she realized the rain had turned into a light drizzle.

He yelled after her, jogging to catch up.

The sound of their laughter was drowned out by the platter of the rain.

𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲 !

finally a kiss! what are our thoughts??