Chapter 2: Breathe

"First, we'll start with breathing lessons," Tsireya stated, all of us still gathered next to the water's edge.

"But I know how to breathe!" Tuk's tiny voice huffed, making me glance over at her. She clung close to Neteyam and I could already tell that they had a close bond.

Tsireya opened her mouth to reply but Ao'nung beat her to it, his finned arms gesturing towards the ocean. "Okay then, let's go for a swim," he smirked.

"Ao'nung," I lightly touched his shoulder, "They are like babies; they need to learn how to breathe first." I looked over at the Omatikayans, smiling softly.

I wanted to avoid Ao'nung's childish games and give the new comers genuine help. I knew how hard it was to learn how to be Metikayan without any of their natural physical attributes.

Ao'nung shrugged off my fingers, his harsh glare meeting my eyes. "I think a hands-on experience would do best here," he snapped, not giving me a chance to respond before he dove effortlessly into the water.

A soft sigh left my lips as I let my hand rest by my side again, looking at the four forest Na'vi in front of me with pity. Ao'nung was harsh on me because of my differences, and I knew he intended to give these people the same treatment.

Tsireya motioned for everyone to follow her as she also dove into the water, barely making a splash.

The oldest girl, Kiri, sighed before wading deeper into the water, followed by Lo'ak. Neteyam picked up Tuk and glanced at me, offering me a subtle smile before entering the ocean himself.

Butterflies filled my stomach as he turned away from me, my eyes lingering on his back. He had large blue stripes on both sides of his waist that met in the middle of his back, slanting downwards as they followed his spine.

It was almost comforting to see Na'vi that looked like me for a change, glancing down to look at my arms. I was the only one in the village with stripes like this, before they came along. I wonder if we were from the same homeland.

I brought myself out of my thoughts and quickly caught up with the group, everyone swimming together. Tsireya smiled at me and grabbed my hand as I neared her, pulling me with her as we dived down again.

Looking up at the surface, we saw how Neteyam and Lo'ak were still on the surface of the water, their tails swishing in an effort to keep them afloat.

It was kind of cute. It reminded me of my first time learning the ocean.

What's wrong with them? Rotxo signed, him and Ao'nung swimming up to us under the water.

They're bad at swimming. Ao'nung signed back with a smirk, only to be met with a smack to the arm by Tsireya.

Don't! She signed quickly, a look of frustration on her face. They're learning, they're trying their best.

I looked back up at Neteyam and Lo'ak, who were looking down at us.

Come on, I signed at them, waving them over.

They both looked at us in confusion before looking at each other, shrugging.

I began to swim up to meet the two boys, motioning for the others to follow me. We all broke the surface of the water, my wet hair sticking to my face.

Normally I wouldn't pay any mind to it, except this time I noticed Neteyam staring at me from the corner of my eyes. I quickly pushed my hair back, gathering it all to float behind my shoulders. I cringed internally at myself, unsure of why I cared about what he thought of me.