Chapter 11- Mid Summers

Start from the beginning

-next night-
I looked at myself in the mirror after I got all ready for this stupid midsummers party. My mom already picked out this dress in April, so obviously, none of us would expect me to be pregnant. When I tried the dress on in April, I already hated it, and my mom knew. But she didn't care. It's a loose purple, satin dress. But now it was tight on my stomach area, and you could clearly see my stomach.

My mom walked into my room and I looked at her through the mirror.
"Mom do I really have to go? What's the point?" I asked her.
"Kie you're going. No discussion." She told me.
I rolled my eyes.

"I don't understand why I do." I told her.
My mom turned me to face her. "Honey, do you know what the island club is?"
"A factory farm for debutantes." I told her, flat out.
My mom looked like she wanted to wring my neck. But she faked a smiled and told me, "It is a nice place, with nice people, where you can do fun stuff."

"With out-of-touch rich people, while the island sinks slowly into the ocean." I rolled my eyes.
My mom just walked out of my room while saying, "Okay, I want you to put on your party face, Kie, if you wanna live."

-at the party-
We've been at the party for a few hours now. The boys were working, so Sarah and I were by ourselves, hanging out. I've gotten weird stares and whispers all night and it's been frustrating and annoying. I was in a corner, just standing there, waiting while Sarah was getting drinks.

Then she came back an handed me a glass, and a small plate with little snacks on it. "Ok so, I just grabbed whatever they had, and then I got you a lemonade."
I smiled and laughed a little. "Thanks."
"Why are you over here in this corner?" Sarah asked me.

"Because everyone just keeps whispering about me and giving me looks..." I said.
She took a sip of her drink and gave me a look. "Let them talk. What they say or do isn't going to change the health of your baby."
I looked at her and shrugged my shoulders. "I know... it's just... hard to ignore them..."

I noticed JJ working and stared at him. I heard Sarah talking, but I didn't pay attention. Then I felt her nudge my arm. "Kiara." I heard her say.
I acknowledged her, but didn't look at her. "What?"
"Do you think you and JJ would ever get married?" She asked me.

I looked at her, but honestly didn't know how to react at first. "What?"
She laughed and nodded her head. "You heard me..."
I looked back at JJ, sighed, and shrugged my shoulders. "Yes... and no... I mean, I love him, but we're only 17... Yea we're having a baby together, but... I don't know, I feel like it's just... really fast to think about that right now..."

"You guys would be cute together. I can imagine you two, having a small little wedding that the 5 of us could throw. Either with you still pregnant, or a little baby in your arms." She said.
I looked at her and smiled, then looked down at my stomach and put my hand on it. "That'd be cute..." I chuckled.

All of a sudden, JJ came over.
"Hey, what are you guys doing here in this corner like this?" He asked us.
"Everyone keeps looking at me and whispering..." I told him.
He looked at everyone, some people were still giving us looks and we could see them whispering. But then he looked back at me and smiled. "Maybe they're just talking about how hot you look tonight.."

I laughed under my breath and rolled my eyes.
"Anyone messes with you, you get me. Ok?" He whispered.
I smiled and nodded my head. Then he gave me a quick kiss before having to work again.
Sarah looked at me and smiled. "You two are literally soulmates."
I shook my head and rolled my eyes. Although, I didn't really disagree with her.

~~~~~~~~
Later on into the party, it was now getting late, but the party doesn't end until usually around 2 am. And it's only 11pm. JJ had a break right now, so we were inside the island club building, just hanging out. He was drinking a beer, while I was drinking a sprite.

As we were sitting there, we were trying to just talk to each other, but it was hard feeling everyone stare at us, and we could hear the whispers.
I can't believe she would do that to herself.
He probably forced her.
That poor baby.
They should've terminated the pregnancy when they had the chance.

I sat there, fidgeting with the can in my hand, listening and looking. Then I felt JJ's hands on mine. I looked up at him and he gave a small smile, although, I could tell this was affecting him too.
"Let's get out of here..." I whispered to him.
He reluctantly nodded his head, knowing it was the best thing to do.

We went back outside, to the bag drop. There was no one there, so we were alone. I leaned on the wall and looked out at the water. Then I felt JJ, playing around with the flowers on my headband.

I looked at him, then grabbed his hand and smiled. "I love you..." I whispered.
He smiled softly, picked up my chin to kiss me after whispering back, "I love you more..."
We kissed for maybe a minute before we heard someone.

We saw Topper, Kelce, and Rafe. They walked up to us as Rafe said, "Well, if it isn't the talk of the party. The pogue, and the slut. And of course, their little... messed up baby."
I stepped a bit closer to him. "Do you wanna say that again?"

Then Rafe got a bit closer to me. "You heard me. Everyone's talking about you. How you and this pogue hooked up and now you two are having a baby out of marriage. You're a slut is what you are..."

JJ got closer, a step in front of me. "Rafe, if you know what's good for you. Leave now. Don't you dare put a hand on her." JJ clenched his jaw and his fists.
Rafe laughed. "Or what? What are you gonna do about it?"

Then Rafe all of a sudden pushed me into this pillar that was next to me. That completely unhinged JJ and he went ballistic. JJ completely knocked Rafe to the ground and then started punching him, making his nose bleed.

"JJ! JJ, stop!" I yelled out.
But he wouldn't, he kept on punching him. "You mess with her again and I swear to god I'll kill you..." JJ growled at him before finally letting him go.
The 3 of them ran away and then JJ and I were alone again.

He wiped his hands on a rag that he had and looked at me. "Did he hurt you, are you ok?" He asked me.
"Yea, I think so... are you?" I asked him.
"Yea don't worry. He couldn't even get a swing out." He chuckled.

I laughed a little too and hugged him.
He hugged me tight. Then he whispered to me, "I love you... you know that?"
To which my response was, "of course. Why would it be any different?"

We pulled away and he smiled at me and put his hand on my stomach.  "I love you both..."
I smiled and put my hand on top of his. "We love you more..."

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊