I can feel my breathing quicken, and with a sob I tightly hug Steve. He just holds onto me, saying nothing. I'm glad he doesn't try to tell me that it's going to be alright, because we don't know that for sure. Lifting my head, I face him once more. "Why didn't he tell us anything! I can kinda understand you guys, but what about me? and Peter? Wait, Peter. Does Peter know about this?" Even though tears are rolling down my face, I'm no longer worried about myself being scared to lose Clint.

Peter has known Clint a lot longer than I have.

"He doesn't know yet. I- well, to tell the truth. I decided to tell you first because I figured you would be able to cope better. And, well- also you could comfort Peter better than the rest of us could because you're his other soulmate." Steve stutters, clearly nervous as to how I'm going to respond.

I sniff to clear my nose and wipe the tears from my face. "Do I have to tell him? Please don't ma-"

"No, you don't have to tell him. That would be cruel on my part. But I do want you to be in the room. I'll probably tell him before he goes to bed tonight. If you're okay with it, I would prefer that the both of you stay with each other, at least for tonight. Just in case." I wasn't entirely sure what he meant by just in case, but I could make a few guesses. None of which were particularly appealing.

"Yeah, of course." I nod, trying to compose myself. Steve pulls me into another tight hug. He places a small kiss on my neak and then asks "You okay?"

"Not really, but I can function." I chuckle wryly, "I've had practice." I can hear Steve sigh into my hair, but when he pushes me back slightly his expression is soft.

"That's not something you should ever have to practice. Nor do I ever want you to practice it. And just so you know, none of the others know about this yet. I'm going to tell them after I tell Peter. I just felt that you and Peter should be the first ones to know."

"Thank you." I say as I give him one last hug.

"I should double check that the twins don't need anything. Then finish up my part of the stupid fucking group project." Steve raises his eyebrow at my last statement but didn't say anything.

"You're not going to say anything?" I say with a grin.

"I try not to because this century finds it more acceptable, and even though it's only slipped out a few times, you find it worth your while to mock me."

"Mock you? ME? Never!" I giggle.

He finally cracks a smile and my grin widens. When I go in for a small peck on the lips, he gently holds my head still and deepens the kiss. Pulling back, he rests his forehead on mine and whispers. "I love you."

"I know." Comes my response. He's said it a few times, but I've never been able to say it back. When he said it the first time I almost panicked, thinking I had to respond likewise. He had reassured me that I did not need to respond right away, and that he knew that I deeply cared for him. The only other people who had told me those words in that way were Peter and Thor.

I had reacted the same way with them that I did with Steve. Explaining to them that, while I deeply cared for them, I wasn't quite ready to say those words. Peter hasn't said it since, and I've spent many hours wondering if this is a bad decision. Maybe I'm already damaging whatever connections we have at the moment.

My thoughts turn back to Clint. We had a meaningful moment on vacation when I had woken up with him holding me. Then we had pranked the others. But we hadn't been able to connect on that level since because of both of our busy schedules. Well, that and the fact that Tony had set digital locks on all the vents. He had also told FRIDAY to inform him if me AND Clint were in the vents. There was a loophole to his command because as long as only one of us was in the vents at a time, then FRIDAY wasn't obligated to report us.