-Dʀᴀɢᴏɴ Kɴɪɢʜᴛ-

Start from the beginning

Syz toaba, Midnight, Syz taoba.

The giant beast preened and hissed in delight from the blatant adoration of his rider, enjoying the devotion and praise she imparted upon his weary soul, craning his neck ever so gently to accept such offerings. Balora giggled softly at the subtle action, being reminded of an old cat preening under the affection of those petting them. Her giggles morphed into a soft smile of pride that hardly faded from her soot and wind-sore face as she scratched along the scar-hardened scales of the beast below her, enjoying the warmth he offered her and the cool summer winds that blew around them, carrying with it the songs of Summer on its back.  

A wonderful peace washed over the rider and mount as they sat in comforting silence as they rested amongst the grass and saltwater air, croons and soft hisses mixed with the pleasant lull of the ocean waves nearby. A peace that vanished as chilling growls of warning erupted forth from the gore-stained mouth of the ancient dragon, confusion racking the young Greywood girl as to what could have could cause the sudden shift of emotions for her mount, but she quick to find such answers in the encroaching and familiar glowing figure of Ser Maevor of her mother’s guard as he walked closer to the bonded pair. 

“Having fun, my lady?” 

He called from a steady distance, his voice ringing out in a deep and well-known Northern cadence, words colored by the amusement in his tone and a good-natured smile on his lips. Golden at the very seams, Ser Maevor was the living embodiment of the noble knights from the pretty ballads. Silver, his pale hair glowed like fractured moonlight under the bright sun, eyes like raw tourmaline. He stood shining and glorious in his suit of armor, a valiant cape of indigo swaying like the waves of the ocean that lapped hungrily beside them, and a sword of castle steel hanging from his side; the living image of the magnanimous dragon knights of Valyria’s ancient sagas. 

“Oh the most fun, my dear Ser,” she called below with a cheek smile painting the full of her lips, cheeks flushed with the rush of youthful adrenalin and warmth of summer innocence. “Tell me, was my stellar performance appreciated by the masses?”

The young knight chuckled, “Stunned my lady, all were completely and utterly stunned, though I fear for the eldest prince as the poor lad looked to be near faint the moment you emerged from the clouds. Practically cowering under his mother's skirts terrified.”

Balora preened with fiery pride when hearing that piece of information, “Good, then he shall carry the knowledge with him that I am not some little thing to trifle with, lest he would want to deal with the fury of Midnight.”

Laughter as soft as spring winds fell from grinning lips upon hearing the earth rumbling growls of the dragon underneath her, powerful jowls agape to show the rows of wicked teeth stained crimson in fair warning to all those who oppose its cry of warning. Such displays of cries and fearsome nature hardly scared the young girl, instead she felt almost emboldened by the strong and fierce nature of her beloved mount.

“Must I remind you, my lady, we are not here to create enemies.” the dragon knight warned the young Greywood maiden, tourmaline eyes looking at her pointedly as he did, lips forming a serious line on the points of his face. A look that weakened as soon as it was formed once more upon seeing the disgruntled expression appearing from the Greywood rider. “This is a friendly gathering, nothing more and nothing less.”

“Yes, yes, I am quite aware of such things, dear dragon knight,” she told him breathlessly as she began her descent down from her saddle, using the worn-down rope ladder that hung from his vast side as she did. “But I am not foolish enough to believe that there isn’t something rather peculiar about this trip or gathering as well.”