Journey to the New Island

Beginne am Anfang

The boys raced towards their house. Located at the far west end of Inkwell, it was well away from the city portion of the island.

Are you sure this guy is trustworthy? Tsundere asked. We don't even know who he is. The demon nestled inside Mugman's soul was always on edge about new people. He was not one to trust others easily. The two of them had been together for about a year now and understood one another very well. When Mugman had first discovered the parasitic creature residing in his body, he would've done anything to get him out. But nowadays he couldn't imagine his life without the demon. For they truly had a one-of-a-kind bond that no one had ever thought possible. Last year they had become totally in sync with one another when battling the Devil and his minions.

We have to help Ms. Chalice. If he starts to act weird, we can throw him overboard. Mug silently replied to him.

I suppose that works... The demon mumbled.

Cup and Mug were still outside the house when they started calling for their guardian. It was a very plain-looking brown house. Nothing fancy. But it was special because their grandpa had a hand in building it himself.

"Elder Kettle! Elder Kettle!" The boys hollered as they ran into the house. They certainly didn't pay any attention to closing the front door behind them. For they figured they would be right back out once they explained the situation to their grandpa. The cup brothers started yammering away at the elderly kettle, talking over one another.

"Okay, okay. Slow down, fellas. One at a time." He tried to tell his boys. But they weren't listening and kept talking away. "I said quiet!" Kettle bellowed with steam coming out of his spout. Cuphead and Mugman instantly went silent. "Now Mugman, I want you to tell me what happened."

"What? Why do you always pick him?" Cup asked in an exasperated manner and pointed a gloved finger near his sibling's head. The tan kettle gave an annoyed sigh and rolled his own hand down his face.

"Fine. Go on and calmly explain what's going on." Elder Kettle gave in to the young cup's pouting, making sure to stress the calmly part. Cup took a deep breath in an attempt to control the energy that wanted to burst out.

"So when we were walking back from visiting Spoonfred, some mysterious stranger called us over. He gave us this note that was written by our friend Ms. Chalice. It says she needs our help." The red cup explained and handed over the parchment to his guardian.

"Mysterious stranger, you say?" Kettle said suspiciously as he looked over the note.

"Please, Elder Kettle! We have to go! What if she's in danger?" Cuphead pleaded. The young cup had been itching for a new adventure for some time now. Plus, the thought of going to a mysterious island sounded like a lot of fun. Neither of the boys had ever been off Inkwell in their life. They were eager to see the world. And they weren't the only ones excited by this opportunity. Mugman's demon had never seen any place other than the demon realm and Inkwell as well. While he had not said anything about it, Mug could feel his excitement building. "Very well. I'll let you go but only if you promise to be back by sundown." The elderly kettle reluctantly said.

"We promise." Mugman responded. But he knew that their grandpa wanted to hear it from both of them. And Cup was off in his own world, fantasizing about what they might find on this mysterious island. Mug nudged his brother with his elbow.

"Oh, yeah. We truly intend to be back this evening." The red cup snatched the note back and went to get a head start for the boat. Mug stayed behind for a moment to make sure Elder Kettle didn't have anything else to say.

"Please protect my boys. Bring them home safe." He entrusted the demon inside his boy's soul to make good judgements. The parasite made the blue mug nod his head.