Slavery

I lived my entire life in an underground mine. It was everything but nice. It was cold, dark and damp. I couldn't see anything but it didn't matter because I still lived with my family. My name was Oron Ire, or you could say it was until it changed. I was used to life here but I still hated it. I hoped something would allow me and family to escape but one day I got only half of that wish and also in the worst way possible.

I will always remember the day, it was an ordinary day. I mostly just sat in a dark corner and thought to myself but I felt something was off, I could hear a small constant thumping sound. As time went on, it got louder and louder. The walls around us began to shake, I felt my whole body vibrating and I struggled to cling on to the wall. I heard as the sound got louder and louder. I couldn't even cover my ears because I was being shaken to much. I looked up at my mother who was hanging onto the ceiling for dear life. I looked at her hands and could see them starting to break apart. The thumping got louder and seemed to be getting closer. The vibrations were stronger then ever before. I looked up again to see my mothers hand just snap off her body and she fell from a long drop into the floor, I closed my eyes as I heard a small bang from my mother hitting the ground through all the thumping. A sad feeling came over me, there was almost no chance she had survived.

I didn't even have a chance to mourn her death that day because the instant she died the wall I was hanging on broke and a sharp drill almost pierced into my hands. Luckily the break in the wall was enough to shake me off the wall and drop me below the drills. The drivers of the drill saw me on the ground and stopped. "We found one and it's just lying here on the floor for us to take," I heard one of them yell.

At this part I was in too much pain to move or run and I blacked out as one of them went to pick me up. I thought these men were going to help me and family my escape from this dreaded cave but instead they split us all up and enslaved us in a factory.

If you though slavery was abolished, you were wrong, it was still here and all of us being forced to work on these damn conveyer belts. I never found my family but I still worked hard incase I was rewarded, that day came in some kind of way but not for a long time.

I put in a lot of effort on working these conveyor belts and making sure they got everything to where they were needed. My coworkers didn't help as much and those who didn't were cut into pieces, burnt and rarely were taken away to never be seen again. I had a friend who I worked with me all day. His name was Bold Gar. We constantly talked but made sure it was in private so we didn't get caught not working. He did all the dodgy kind of work because he wasn't ever going to get caught unlike me.

He came from a cave like me but a different one. His cave was split into two sides the rich and the poor. It became like this after the war of 1955 in which general Mineral took control of the cave with his army of goons. It became a massive dictatorship where only the people who earned Mineral's trust were given food and money. The rich all lived in better spots of the cave where they were safe. Bold was part of the poor people, living in a dangerous spot with almost no food. His parents were killed when a giant rock fell from the ceiling crushing all of this family. No one would accept Bold into his home so he stole from the poor out of spite and even more riskily stole from the rich. He knew how to do dodgy activities secretly because he had been doing it his whole life.

I don't know what happened but one day while I was working on the conveyor belts and he was working at the market I overheard two guards talking. I listened intently for any gossip and I heard on of them say, "The market just got a sweet sale."
"Really?" the other man said.
"Yeah, it was a real bold buy as well."
"Wow, like $250,000 for that beauty."
"Damn right we did."
Thoughts rushed through my head, were they making a pun on my best friends name when he had just been sold? Not only that the price of $250,000 sounded like what he would be worth as a slave.

I returned home that night, there he was though, standing there my best and only friend. I started to cry and told him what had happened today. He laughed and told me not to worry but I had to. I don't know what I would do without him in this dreaded factory.

My day of escape wasn't far off though. In a few days I would have to say goodbye to Bold and would leave my name of Oron behind. When I did, I became what I have always dreamed of becoming.