Chapter 13: Roommates

Start from the beginning

I decide to read my new book, The Silent Patient.

I had read a little bit on the plane, before I had fallen asleep.

Kelley's POV

"Yeah I know Mom. Love you, I've got to go I'm at my room." I say hanging up on her.

I press my keycard to the door and open it.

Walking in, I don't recognise her, asleep with a book in her hands.

Placing my stuff down quietly, I take her book, remembering to put her bookmark in, like Julie always told me to do.

I put it on the bedside table, grateful she had chosen to be closer to the window.

It's no news to anyone, that I hate being near the window.

Realising there's only 20 minutes until I know I need to wake her up.

Taking one more glance, I realise she's more familiar than I first figured.

Unsure of how to wake her up, I just let an alarm ring out.

"Turn it off." She mumbles.

When I hear her voice, I realise I've seen her many times before. College, NWSL.

She's the Hallie Whitlock.

"No can do, Whitlock. Team meeting starts soon." I say making her turn to look at me.

"I haven't even introduced myself, how do you know who I am?" She says covering her face.

"You don't need to cover your face, everyone looks like that when they wake up. And I'd be surprised if there was one person in this hotel, who doesn't know who you are."

"Um thank you I guess?"

"Yes, now hurry up, like I said team meeting." I say.

"Ugh I really shouldn't have fallen asleep. Give me two minutes and we can go there together okay?"

"Sure, anything you want."

"What do you like to do outside of football?" I call out to her from the bedroom.

"Travel, sleep."

"I like to sleep too, I also like drinking beer. How many countries have you been to?" I ask.

"I've visited every continent, except Antartica."

"How do you have so much time to travel?"

"Off-season, international breaks."

"I see."

"Right, I'm done. Let's go." She says grabbing her phone.

Leading Hallie towards the meeting, we don't talk but it's not awkward.

Getting there early, meant I could introduce Hallie to everyone.

Pushing open the door, I let Hallie go in first before shouting, "The Hallie Whitlock everyone!"

"Kel, give the girl a chance to settle in, she's only been here for 2 hours." Ali warns.

"She was sleeping for most of it." I scoff.

"You watched me sleep?" Hallie asks a bit confused.

"I didn't know how I was supposed to wake you up." I shrug.

Hallie walks off to reunite with Ash and Crystal. Mal not far behind.

Ali starts to talking to me, but I'm too focused on the girls talking.

"Kelley, listen. Hallie yes?" I nod. "She worries a lot, and I'm not overall happy you're her roommate but take care of her, okay?"

"You got it, dude."

Ali walks back to Ash and the girls, causing me to take a look at everyone in front of me.

Seeing Alex and Allie, I immediately walk towards them.

"Janice!" I say embracing her in a hug.

Letting go, I hug Allie before sitting down next to her.

"Who's the newbie, I haven't even got a chance to look at her. Ash, Crystal and Mal are hogging her."  Allie says.

"Hallie Whitlock."

Alex gasps. "Washington Spirit Whitlock?"

"Yes who else? But she does play for Manchester United now." I ramble.

"Our team is going to be unstoppable if we have her."

"We don't even know if she fits in the with the teams dynamics yet." Allie says.

"Yeah but if she gets on well enough with them." I say pointing their group out. "She'll get along with the rest of us."