Ch 20: How Do You Spell Trouble?

Start from the beginning

My dad is still glowering a little, his tense arms crossed over his chest. He pushes himself off from leaning against the kitchen wall. "Today won't happen again, you're grounded" He says with finality.

My eyes go wide and I see Mom panic and come to my rescue, "Babe you can't ground her for one test! You heard her-she studied, she tried and she's going to fix it by going to tutoring. You told us when the teacher called you he said she'd still be able to get a good grade in the class, why are you grounding her?"

"She has too many distractions, you are to go to school and back. You can go to tutoring, but no cheer, no ASB and no Academy assignment until we un-ground you."

I'm shaking with panic, I knew they were going to take away my assignment. The one thing I want the most-to be in the Academy and they are taking it away from me. Over one stupid test!!

My parents are yelling at each other now. I've never heard them argue like this before. I guess that's because I've always been good. Keeping myself locked up kept me out of trouble. I break out of my thoughts when I hear something shatter. I look up a see my mom has thrown a plate across the kitchen.

"You can't do this to her!! She's practically grounded herself for five years!!!"

"Sang, go to your room", Dad orders.

I jump off the kitchen chair I was on a start rushing towards the stairs. When I get to the first step I stop and turn around and stare. My parents arguing fiercely on my behalf and against it. I figure now is as good a time as any to tell them the news.

"I didn't make it", I say so quietly with a crack in my voice that I don't believe anyone heard me, but they did, because they are my parents. Even though they only adopted me five years ago they are still in tune with everything about me.

They stop their arguing and look towards me at the foot of the stairs. I look across their faces and see confusion, so I clarify for them, "I didn't make the cheer team"

I turn and run up my stairs at least cheer is one thing they can't keep me from! Jade already made that decision for me. But ASB and my assignment? Hanging out with my new friends? Getting those taken away angers me. I reach my room and I am about to slam my door out of anger and frustration, but I don't have the heart. My new parents have given me everything and I know they are just doing what they think is best. I slowly close the door and race to the attic space to cry.

I'm sobbing in the darkness of the attic, thinking about everything I've accomplished so far. Finally leaving the house, making friends, getting closer to joining the Academy. I know my grounding won't last forever, but it hurts anyways.

Just thinking about not being able to hang out with Kota, Luke or Victor. Not being able to go on another date with Gabriel. What about going to the dance with Nathan? I want to get to know North and Silas better too and now I won't have the chance. What if they've forgotten about me by the time I'm un-grounded? They won't want to hang out or be friends!