Hunter laughs softly, "Yeah...I'd imagine that was."

"Hunter, I will always do my best to fight for my kids. There is nothing I wouldn't do to keep you safe. And that includes telling you that if you need to stay here, you can. If you need to wait to come to the human realm, that's OK. Take your time. I'll be there when you're ready."

He holds her tightly and quietly cries on her shoulder, the relief of finally finding this kind of love, and the hurt from missing it for so long, overwhelming him. She rubs his back, whispers reassurances, and sings to him the same song in Spanish he's heard her sing to Luz when she is overwhelmed. He doesn't know what all the words mean, but he doesn't need to. They're hers, and they sound like everything he never felt growing up.

When he's ready, he sits back and wipes his eyes, "Thanks, Mom."

"You'll be alright, Hunter."

"I know...if you think I will be, I know I can be."

Camila rests her hands on his shoulders, "You need to stop doubting yourself. You can make big decisions. You will find a way to feel like your life is yours to determine. You've already shown me that."

He looks puzzled, "When?"

"You took your life into your own hands to protect your family. You chose to leave us behind to face your abuser so he wouldn't hurt any of us out of his anger against you. That was an incredibly brave decision, and even though I was terrified for you, I am also so proud of that bravery, even though I wish you had stayed so you didn't have to face him alone."

He slowly nods, "Huh...I guess I did."

"You took back your power, Hunter, by choosing how you would use what you thought was the end of your life. Now that you have it, and Belos is dust in a jar, you don't need to keep doubting yourself. You can do this. Just...remember you don't have to do it alone, OK?"

He breaks into a smile, "Yeah, OK. Not alone."

She smiles, then stands, "Come get me if you need me. I'm going to try to get Luz to start calming down to get back to her homework. Both of you need your rest. It's getting late."

"I'm almost done for the night. I can't focus on this much longer, and it's not like I'm going to get any farther behind. It can wait," Hunter says.

She ruffles his hair and he laughs, still always a little giddy when she shows him the small acts of affection that feel new every time, "Smart thinking. Take care of yourself – homework isn't more important than health." She leaves the room. Hunter returns to his studying and wraps up the section of his assignment he's been working on. He sets it aside and picks up his journal, turning to the page marked by two bright red feathers. He rereads the note he left his friends and family, then turns the page. He puts the date at the top of it and stares at the paper a moment before he starts writing.

"Dear Flapjack,

"Well...it's almost time to go home. I don't entirely know what that means, but after talking to Mom, maybe it's OK that I'm still trying to figure out what home means to me. Maybe home can be a feeling, not a place. Maybe home is where my friends and family are, and that can be in different worlds. Maybe home is something in my heart, since that's where you are.

"I miss you, buddy. And I'm glad I still have a part of you with me all the time. I'm probably never going to be a great witch, and that's OK. But every time I manage to make even a little spell work, I think about the fact that you're helping me get there, and that makes me happy. We're a team, even after everything.