Chapter 30: One Door Opens

Start from the beginning

Hunter sighs and bows his head, "How do I go back to school and act like things are normal?"

"You don't. You know things aren't normal. If that means stuff is harder, or you need to do something differently, ask for help. It's OK...you've got people in your corner."

"I know. And I try to laugh it off, to pretend I can handle things, but...ever just look at all the stuff you've been through and wonder how you haven't melted down and walked off a cliff or something? Because sometimes...I just kinda feel like I'm looking at myself from the outside and wondering how the heck I'm still in one piece."

Steve gently hugs him, "Kiddo...that's heavy."

"I haven't told Mom. I don't want her to worry," Hunter replies, resting his head on Steve's shoulder.

"You can trust good ol' Uncle Steve to not say anything unless you want me to," he says. Hunter quietly laughs, "I've got your back. You know that."

"Yeah, I do. Thanks, Steve."

"Hey...I understand that feeling, like everything you've been through might crush you. I'm sure it's not for nearly as much hard stuff as you're carrying on your heart, but...I get it. And you can always tell me, OK?"

Hunter nods, "OK. I will."

Steve steps back, both hands on Hunter's shoulders so he can look him in the eye, "Promise you'll tell someone if things get too heavy?"

"Yeah."

Steve smiles at him, "You're going to be alright, Hunter, and your family's pretty amazing. I fell lucky every time I think about how they just kinda folded me in."

"Same here," Hunter replies, "I didn't ask for this. I never would have expected it. But...here I am."

"Yep, here we are," Steve says, "And here we are, outside, where it's a little chilly. Want to go inside and join them?"

Hunter smiles and nods, "Yeah, that sounds good." Steve puts his arm around Hunter's shoulders and they walk to the front door together. Once inside, Hunter slips away to the bedroom, flopping on the bed beside Luz.

"Oh hello, sweet mattress, how I've missed you!"

"Yeah, the bunks were OK, but this...this is sooo much more comfy," Luz says, "I think I'm just going to stay here for days."

Camila brings in the bag of their clothes, "Hey kids – try to take care of things today, alright? It'll be easier than waiting and living out of the luggage."

"Thanks, Mom," Luz replies.

"Got it, Mom," Hunter says at the same time.

Camila leaves, smiling.

"So...are you headed right back to the human realm?" Hunter asks her, "Whenever we find a portal?"

"I don't know," she says, "I don't really feel like I belong there. I never have. I don't have friends at school or anything...I want to see Vee, but...I kinda want to stay here."

"Mom's going to have to go back," Hunter says.

"Yeah, I know. But if we have door like the old one, that wouldn't be a problem."

"We don't, though," Hunter days, "And somehow I doubt that was something that was easy to make."

Luz shrugs, "I don't know. We'll just have to keep learning and try to find out."

Hunter stares at the ceiling, "I wonder if there's a place here where, if you put Titan's blood, it'll make a portal, like it did for Belos in Old Gravesfield."