Chapter 5: Lovesick, and I Hate You For It

Start from the beginning

If she was absolutely perfect at anything, it was being a liar. 

“Are you sure? Please let me know if you are still in pain or need anything at all.”  

Julieta plead with concern.  

Isabela gazed at the plate; she had barely eaten in days but still the thought of it made her stomach churn. Her stomach would fill faster, and anything digested just traveled back up with those damned flowers making their unwanted appearance. Then she would be faced with her puffy and sickened reflection that she was disgusted by. 

Though that wouldn’t be the first time she had seen herself that way 

“I will mamá, gracias.”  

She smiled half-heartedly before her mother gently raised her cheek to look her in the eye.  

“We are all here for you Isabela, especially your hermanas, padre and me. I don’t want you to hide anymore.”  

Isabela felt her chest fill again; she appreciated her mother's kind words but wanted her to let her be. Now that her parents were aware of how she felt, it was like they consistently emphasized their support. They were always sincere, but she couldn't help but question whether this came just from her being sick with something they weren't aware of. Now the youngest without a gift wasn't their focus, it was the ill eldest daughter. 

A soft knock on the door surprised them, causing a scratch in Isabela's throat. Julieta opened the door, revealing the woman on the other side. 

"Hola Julieta, is it okay if I talk to Isa for a bit?" 

Maya requested softly. Julieta looked back at her, ready for a response. 

Shivers ran down Isabela's spine as a thin vine crawled up her esophagus, she swallowed harshly praying that her sickness give her mercy in that moment. Her heart felt heavy, restraining herself from showing any sign of emotion. 

She nodded, her lungs desperately wanting to cough. 

"If you need anything, your sisters, father and I will be here." 

Her mother insured before closing the door behind her, leaving Isabela alone with her emotional tormentor. 

She couldn't bring herself to look at Maya as she silently sat down beside her. The quietness hovered over them for a few moments before her coughing filled the room, allowing them both to experience a shared pain. 

"So... you have Hanahaki, because of me?" 

Maya finally broke the silence with a question that made Isabela's heart fall into her stomach. 

She was thankful for Maya's wit but this one the one time she wanted the girl to be clueless. 

She nodded, feeling another flower bloom at the back of her mouth then tumble out, down to the ground.