Chapter 29: Healing

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Families return home. The Blights return to Bonesborough first, Gus and Perry following soon after. Willow, Harvey, and Gilbert stay an extra day before they, too, return to their houses. Soon, it is only the residents of the Owl House, along with Raine and Darius, staying in Latissa.

"Where are you going to go, Rainestorm?" Eda asks over dinner a few nights after everyone else has gone home. "I mean, there's a castle free for the taking, but do you want to go there?"

"I mean, I could," Raine says, "I studied there often enough. But no. I think I'll stay here for a while, at least until Darius and I have taken care of the last of the cultists. We still haven't dealt with Terra and Adrian. I mean, they can't do much, we have Belos in a jar. But I don't trust either of them not to cause trouble."

"Especially the illusion diva," Eda counters.

"Yeah. He's...a handful," Raine replies.

"Tell me about it...encountering him at Hexside was...not fun," Hunter says.

Raine stops, "That's right, he tried to trick the kids into getting coven sigils. I'd forgotten about that."

"It wasn't exactly a forgettable day for us," Hunter replies, "Kinda almost died. Again." He turns to Luz, "What would that be, the third time? There's Kiki's dragon, Belos' mind, then Hexside," he says, ticking them off on his fingers, "After that, we have the Day of Unity, then in Old Gravesfield, then this last time...which was technically twice." He stares at his hands, "Probably not normal to need two hands to count near-death experiences in a single year when you're sixteen."

Eda drops her fork, "Wait, you almost died at Hexside?"

"Yeah...when we were running from Adrian. The scouts caught me. They were going to take me back to Belos...I was trying to get out of it, but eventually they got impatient and somebody said they should 'put him...' and another scout finished it with 'out of his misery' and started conjuring a spell. The other scout was quick to correct it to 'to sleep', but yeah, almost got taken out by one of the coven scouts in the hall," Hunter shrugs, "So...chalk that one up as the least dramatic of the ways I've nearly been killed. And at least that one would have kinda sorta been accidental."

Luz shakes her head, "Dude, we are finding you a therapist."

He laughs, "Yeah...you're not the first person to say that."

Luz looks around the table, "OK, spit it out, who else?"

Lilith, Eda, Darius, Raine, and Camila exchange glances, "I mean...is there one of us who hasn't in one way or another, suggested it?" Eda asks.

"Hoot hoot, I haven't!" Hooty calls.

Hunter laughs, "Yeah, so I figure it's probably a good idea if every adult in my life is saying I could probably use some help sorting out my head."

"I'm an adult!" Hooty says.

Eda drops her head to the table with a theatrical frustrated groan while Hunter nearly spits his drink as he starts laughing again at Hooty and Eda's antics.

Camila turns to Hunter as he sets his glass down, still giggling, "Your spirit's seemed lighter than I've ever seen it now that Belos is gone, and I think you're well on your way to some sort of healing, but we'll sort this all out when we've figured out what to do next, OK?"

"I know, Mom. I'm glad I have all of you. I just...I'm kinda messy up here," he says, tapping his temple. "But I think I'll be OK. Just a few more things to lay to rest...literally. Then I can figure out the future." He turns to Darius, "And that starts tomorrow."