"mother, no," you refused sharply, avoiding neytiri's urging gaze. "i am not doing it."

"you haven't spoken to him in days," the older na'vi proclaimed, shuffling closer to you as you turned away from her. "this cannot go on for much longer, ma'ite."

"yes, well, conversations can start both ways," you retorted. "plus, i have nothing to say to him."

releasing a breath of irritation at your attitude, your mother's gaze hardened as she looked back out toward your father. "i am not asking you to apologize—"

"i wasn't going to do that, anyways," you muttered, reaching out a finger to brush it across the flooring of your tent.

"i am simply asking you to speak to him," the na'vi frustratedly finished, fed up with your interruptions. "so go, before i make you."

silence overtook the conversation between you and the older woman, your eyes still trained on the ground below you as your eyebrows harshly knitted together.

"go," she urged, resting a hand atop your braids before standing from the stool, taking her leave to presumably finish up with household duties. "before i make you clean the tsurak with your brother."

as she trekked off toward the outside of your family dwelling, your gaze raised to travel back toward the once-olo'eyktan of the omatikaya, the matt that he was once fiddling with discarded to the side as he was now focused on sharpening a hunting spear using a knife that was gripped tightly between his fingers.

with your mother's words cramming their way past your stubborn skull, you casted once last look toward your dad before heaving an irritated sigh, pushing off of your knees to stand and make your way toward the older na'vi. jake paused his stone work as he noticed your approaching figure, glancing over at you as you stood a few paces away, your arms obstinately crossed over your torso.

parting your lips, you cleared your throat awkwardly, shifting to lay your weight against the side of the marui as your father continued on with his carving. "what are you doing?"

halting his actions once again, he looked up to meet your eyes, glancing down toward the ground as if he hadn't expected you to engage in conversation with him. "uh, just sharpening some spears."

you nodded, raising your eyebrows in a faux interest as you gestured toward the empty area beside him with your index finger. "can i help?"

jake's eyes widened slightly at the ask, and you guessed that your offer to be anywhere near him was one of the last things he expected during your current silent-treatment argument.

"yeah, yeah, sure." he nodded, scooting a little to his left to free up some more space as he gestured with his chin toward a small shelf a few feet away. "should be another knife over there."

wordlessly, you moved to fetch the isolated spare item from its previous spot on the empty surface, slowly lowering yourself down to sit beside your father. you avoided his eyes as he handed you one of the dull hunting weapons that had yet to be carved, toothing on your lower lip as you guided the prongs of your knife to swiftly skim over the edge of the spear.

"this is nostalgic."

looking toward your left, you glanced up at your father's taller figure as his words cut through the softly setting silence, the corners of your eyebrows scrunching to meet the center of your forehead. "what is?"