Chapter 12: The Barrens

Start from the beginning

"June  are you alright?" Jack's voice is filled with worry but I don't  respond, something was after us and it was linked to Andrew.

I just wanted all of this to end so badly but it never did.

It just never did and I was growing tired.

"June...relax I'm here," Jack's soothing words enter my ears when he pulls me in tightly back into his strong arms.

My head is lying on his chest and I can hear his heart beating.

BA-DUMP

BA-DUMP

BA-DUMP

His heart makes me feel at ease and all of a sudden I am able to sleep again.

I  am the first one to wake up by the sound of the rocking waves, they are  soft but they give me light shoves which allow me to open my eyes.

There is something warm and soft holding me.

When  I fully open my eyes I see Jack who is still asleep holding me tightly,  his strong arms are keeping me in place while my head still lies on top  of his chest.

I feel my face grow warm while I try to slip out of his embrace even though it feels like paradise.

I can't get out of his arms, he is strong and I find myself admiring that as well.

"Jack," I murmur but he only groans in annoyance, he doesn't want to wake up.

"Jack,  wake up, we need to go," I say a little louder but he won't budge, my  hands travel up his strong chest to pat him in the face.

That wakes him up.

"Is it still early?" he asks groggily but he still doesn't let go of my waist.

"Yes  it is," I reply and his eye opens in a millisecond to look at me before  widening. His face turns scarlet red when he lets go quickly and  clearing his throat.

"We should get going," he replies ignoring our incident but his face won't cool down.

I don't blame him though, it had been very embarrassing but at the same time, I am grateful he'd been there for me.

He quickly stands up and offers me his hand to stand up which I gladly take which impulses me off the floor.

"How are you feeling?" he asks me.

"I've been better but I'm okay," I reply and he sighs.

"What  scared you so badly last night?" he asks me and I frown but before I  can say anything, the boat stops and we are both looking at each other  with confused looks. A group of warped sailors comes inside the room  which had originally been left undisturbed to begin grabbing cargo  boxes.

"This is our  stop, we gotta get moving," Jack tells me suddenly and I nod. We both  look for an escape route, we'd have to be quick not to get caught.

The  stench the sailors give out is foul and disgusting as they grab the  cargo boxes with coal. I look around frantically until I spot an open  box with the lid closed halfways.

"Jack  over there," I whisper while pointing at the cargo box, he only gives  me a nod before grabbing my hand and running in the direction of the  open coal box.

We both get into the cargo box once more while making sure we are both well hidden.

The  box shifts all of a sudden and that tells us we are both moving. I feel  Jack's hand clench tightly onto mine as we are being moved.