Chapter 10

*UNEDITED*

Chapter 10

"Bailey, talk to me," Rio whispered tightly, the plea in his voice sending a tell-tale shiver racing down the length of my spine. Something deep down also recognized that the way he was speaking to me now was so much more controlled than the first time he demanded an answer from me but no less pressing. He wanted an answer and he was determined to get it.

Hearing the determination in his voice I really wanted to cave and tell him the truth. The whole truth. Not just about my argument with Charlie but my feelings for him as well. I wanted him to know everything. 

But now just wasn't that time. I really didn't have a choice.  If I told him the truth, the whole truth about everything then I take the chance of loosing him for good. I refuse to let Rio pull away from me again.

More determined than ever to keep my mouth closed I viciously shook my head.  I would not have this discussion with him.  Not now, not ever.

"Bailey."  He repeated my name and I didn't miss the hint of warning in his tone.  At the same time the tip of his fingers traced the side of my face so softly, so tenderly in a contradiction of sorts.  Closing my eyes all I wanted to do was lean in to his touch.   Soak up the feel of his hand on my face.

But then just as suddenly as the calming touch was there, it was gone.  I opened my eyes and watched as his hand dropped to his lap.  Damn.

"Tell me who hit you?" he asked again, his dark, stormy eyes holding me to the place where I sat in his lap.

Unable to hold his gaze, I quickly adverted my eyes.  I hated to see the look he was giving me.  It was a look filled with sympathy and pity.  Pity for me.  Pity I didn't want to feel.  Especially from him.  Rio was the last person on this earth that I wanted to feel even an ounce of pity me.

Unable to take the silence any longer I spoke to him just barely above a whisper.  "I just... can't," I told him.  "Please understand."  

This time it was Rio that remained hauntingly quiet.  So quiet that after several long minutes of tension filled silence I slowly lifted my head.  That was my first mistake.  Looking up at Rio I was taken back by the softness in the way he was watching me.  There wasn't a trace of pity that remained.  Concern and some unnamed emotion that I didn't dare try to call radiated from him, imploring me to give in to him.

My hand's shook with the need to give in to him.  I so badly wanted to tell him but I knew if I did then that was it.  I would lose him for good.  "Please, I begged again.  Please don't make me talk about this now.  I need you to understand that I'm not ready to go there with you yet.  And if you truly want to be my friend then you won't push me on this."

He searched my face looking for something, maybe it was some sort of truth to my words or maybe he was trying to see just how dead set I was on keeping my mouth closed.  Whatever he was looking for he must have found it because he surprisingly nodded his head in what I could only describe as acceptance.

"I'll drop it for now Bailey, but be warned, this discussion is far from over.  Let me make myself very clear right here.  I won't allow you to be hurt.  I don't give a damn if it's Charlie or God himself.  I will not idly stand by and look the other way.  Am I understood?"  

The expression on his face drew rigid and his tone brooked no arguments.  That was when I knew he was dead serious.  I only slightly hesitated for a moment before nodding my head in agreement.  And just like that the tension packed air vibrating between us, simply evaporated.