Chapter 11: Sanctuary Pt.4

Start from the beginning

"I didn't tell you to stop sulking."

"You didn't have to." I snap with crossed arms.

We're quiet. The breeze and people from outside could be heard in this tension thickened room. He sighs. "I just want you to feel safe." My brows furrow. "I never was safe."

"My point exactly." I frown at his words. "Why do you even care so much?" I grumble as I sit on the edge of the bed staring at my clasped hands.

"Because I know what it's like to feel alone.." My eyes snap to meet his visor as he continues. "..to feel afraid, to never trust another because there's that voice in the back of my head telling me that the past can become your future, again." I frown. He understood.

He felt what I felt. This is the most he's ever spoken to me. The longest conversation we've had and the first time I'm learning about who he is aside from what he puts forth for everyone. I stare at that damn helmet feeling uneasy with it.

"Do you mind if I ask you something?" My tone calm. He shakes his head looking down before staring back up at me. "I just caused you a surge of emotions from one statement and your asking me if you could ask me something." He chuckles lightly, but it's the first time I've heard him be so carefree as his shoulders bounce and his head shaking in what I assume is disbelief with amusement.

I scoff. "I'm nice like that." He hums. "Sure. Ask."

"You ever take that damn thing off?" He leans forward a bit, his elbows resting on his knees. His gesture seems playful almost. "How do you know I never remove it, maybe you just missed my handsome face."

I chuckle dryly. "Ha ha. Very funny." He leans back, comfortably as I speak. "I remember when you slipped off the Jawas ship-" he cuts me off. "I was electrocuted." I ignore him, continuing. "- and rather than worrying over your own injuries or stolen parts-you wanted to know immediately whether I removed your helmet."

He sighs dropping his playful demeanor. "You know your answer. So, what are you really asking?"

"How long has it been since you've taken that off?" I ask, my brows furrowed.

"Yesterday." I frown at his response. "I mean, in front of someone else." He gets up from his seat and at first I think I've made him upset and he's about to leave, but instead he walks forward towards me before stopping in front of the window that overlooked the children playing with Grogu.

He nods his head toward the children, watching them for a moment before turning to me. "I wasn't much older than they are." My eyes widen a bit. "You haven't shown your face to anyone since you were a kid?"

"No. I was happy that they took me in." My brows furrow as he sees my confusion, he elaborates. "The Mandalorians took care of me. My parents were killed." I frown at this revelation.

"Bad things always seem to happen to good people." I mutter. He nods as I look down at my feet before looking back at him. "I'm sorry. I didn't know." He shakes his head. "We all grieve our life's differently, but this is the way."

I stare at him. Is it? Does it have to be?

"Maybe you aren't so bad." I chuckle quietly trying to lighten the mood a bit. His shoulders relaxed, his hands unclenching subconsciously. I would like to think that a ghost of a smile appeared on his face.