7

I laid on my bed, staring up at the roof and listening to the clicks of Wednesday's typewriter as she worked on her novel. This was her designated writing time so I kept quiet and focused on not interrupting her. Her hands had suddenly stopped typing when I heard a rustling in the sheets on her bed. I glanced over to see a large lump moving around under her blankets. My twin turned her head to me and ordered, "Friday," with a tilt of her head toward the bed. I stood and walked over to her bed at the same time she did. I carefully lifted the blankets to reveal Thing while Wednesday grabbed him off the bed.

"I knew it!" I exclaimed, having guessed Thing would be watching us based on my sister's assumptions.

"Hello, Thing." Wednesday slowly brought him over to her desk as he desperately struggled to be let go. "Did you think my highly trained olfactory sense wouldn't pick up on the faint whiff of neroli and bergamot in your favourite hand lotion? I could do this all day." She pushed him down onto the desk roughly. "Surrender?"

Thing tapped out of the hold quickly, causing her to let go of him. "Mother and Father sent you to spy on us, didn't they?" I questioned, mostly out of curiosity. Thing point out a finger and shook it after my twin brought her lamp over him.

"I'm not above breaking a few fingers." Thing stood still. "That they thought I wouldn't find out proves how much they underestimate me."

The hand quickly mimed some actions trying to explain that our parents were merely concerned for us and wanted to make sure we were okay. "Oh, Thing, you poor, naive appendage."

"Our parents aren't worried about us," I continued, only half believing the statement. I saw how they looked when they left and I could tell they really wanted this to work. Not only for us to become like them.

"They're evil puppeteers who want to pull our strings even from afar. The way I see it, you have two options. Option one." She grabbed Thing and brought him closer to the drawer of the desk as she spoke. A loud scratch could be heard as his nails dragged against the wood to avoid being placed inside. "I lock you in here for the rest of the semester, and you go slowly insane trying to claw your way out, ruining your nails and your smooth, supple skin. And we both know how vain you are."

"Option two," I said and nodded to Wednesday and she threw Thing back onto the top of the desk, closing the door for reassurance. "You pledge your undying loyalty to us." He was locked into a battle of wills with my sister while he considered what to do. Eventually, he bowed, satisfying my twin's needs and plans.

"Our first order of business is to escape this teenage purgatory."

Thing tapped his fingers in his own little sign language to ask if she had a plan.

"Of course, I have a plan. And it begins now."

The smooth sound of tires over concrete sounded as Principal Weems drove us to the place we would be going to for Wednesday's therapy sessions. I technically did not need to attend but sometimes I wanted to and my parents preferred I went with my twin. As we rolled up to the building, Principal Weems opened her mouth to speak, "Dr. Kinbott's office is on the second floor. Other Nevermore students swear by her."

"You'll be here until we're done?" I asked, tilting my head slightly inclined with the question.

"Perhaps afterwards we can visit the Weathervane for hot chocolate."

"Principal Weems, this feeble attempt at bonding is beneath you. And chauffeuring your students around is below your pay grade." My sister held a straight face and I was able to see the gears turning in her eyes as she calculated how to escape this place.

"Given your history, I'm sure you're intent on running away. I'm here to prevent that from happening." I held respect for the principal for her ability to hold a large smile on her face during the entire conversation.