What could have been

Note: the cheesiness would tell you enough that this was written years ago . It was 6 years before and I can't believe I could be so reckless 😂 anyhow I still love this one so here's hoping you'll like it. Ignore the mistakes . I could only edit few lines with my hectic schedule. Thank you to some of the very few readers who liked the previous AK oneshots. Your messages made my day and convinced me to dig up this Oneshot and post it here . Love you all 💓

Waking up to his phone's ringtone is the last thing he wishes for after last night. He groans while putting it on silent knowing it won't stop buzzing after all he left his work in Islamabad midway and boarded a flight straight back home on short notice.

How much he regretted leaving karachi like that after seeing the consequences. His wife's condition was more than surprising, never he had expected her to become extremely miserable in his absence.

Yet, Low-key he was reveled by what he experienced last night.

FLASHBACK

Ashar walks in delighted to greet his wife after a week. He had made it up in his mind how he's going to apologise and truthfully tell her about his insecurities regarding khizar. He knew it will impact their relationship and Khirad would be hurt due to his baseless assumptions but at this point , communication was important in their relationship.

His wife needed to know the truth especially after how he misbehaved and talked to her rudely before. He was well aware, her naïveness and love for him was the last thing he could doubt .

His delight  transients as  he walks in his room, shocked by the current state of it. It hadn't been dusted for days, some odd files scattered everywhere, Khirad's reports which were thrown around as she cried, the bed side tables adorned with medicines and glasses of water, the bed sheet all crinkled, everything was disorganized. His pillow was still moist with her tears. A bit apprehensive he decides to clean it up himself not wanting to ruin the surprise by calling her already.

Meanwhile Khirad exits the bathroom frustrated and nauseated, holding her dupatta in right hand while it trails behind. She feels suffocated, trapped in this isolation needing to break free of these walls.

She had excused herself from khizar's place experiencing nausea yet again and rushed back home without even looking back or even thinking how her mother in law or khizar would react with her sudden departure.

She isn't sure all of this is because of his absence or the physical changes inside her due to pregnancy. Her back aches  severely and she feels  her bones crushed into pieces.

It felt awful not having him around making her feel lifeless despite knowing he will be back soon after his phone call the other night.

Holding  the puddle of tears she paces towards his side of bed unaware of his bemused eyes looking at her. He smiles at the sight before him. It kills him to even spend another extra minute away  from her, needing to be just there with her and hold her in his arms.

He notices her hair isn't tied....a sign that she missed him, still wearing her Indian chicken Kari kurta.

He embraces her from behind kissing the mole on her neck. Khirad turns  astounded and overwhelmed.

"Ashar." His name wasn't audible amidst her croaked voice , she hugs him breaking down not able to hold the tears anymore.

'Itna miss kiya'

He tightens the hug, rubbing her back consoling her.

'Apne aap se bh zyada.'

She doesn't seem unfazed at the sight of him hugging her tightly, pressing almost  a dozen kisses to her ear. His light stubble glides past the dewy exterior of her cheeks. This is where he belongs, where his heart is, where she is.