19. Cyber Sex

Beginne am Anfang

"We are!"

And we fucking did. The rest of the game went pretty smooth sailing. We're going to the Final Play-Off game, baby.

"I got two assists and a goal on a power play."

"I pulled the game up right before your goal. If that isn't perfect timing, I don't know what is." Katherine told me as I walk towards the elevator from the bar. "You going out with the guys?"

"I'm leaving the bar right now actually. We stayed at the hotel tonight. Figured it wasn't safe to be out after we just beat Seattle." I explain, scanning my keycard before hitting the button for the sixteenth floor.

"You better not be leaving just because I told you to call me after the game. I didn't mean literally right after." Katherine practice scolds me.

"Come on, K. You should know by now I don't stay out late. The world doesn't revolve around you." The last bit was laced with sarcasm.

"Eh, I beg to differ."

I chuckle, stepping out of the elevator. "Nah, I just wasn't feeling it." Truth be told, I went into panic mode and immediately got Katherine on the phone to get it under control. I wonder if she noticed my shaky voice at the beginning?

"The girls still haven't talked to me since last week."

"That's shitty. Let them be immature, that's on them." I go to flip the lock, then remember Evan will be up in about an hour or so to have cyber sex—which is when I'll jump in the shower.

"It's just annoying. They're so petty. I feel like I'm in high school. Anyways, Soph is staying here tonight again so no need to worry about me. I'm not alone. I think Olive misses you. She keeps sleeping in your bed."

My heart melts for the little kitten. "And where are you sleeping?"

"In my bed."

"And why?"

"Because it's weird to sleep in your bed without you in it." Also probably because I'm not entirely sure what's happening between us, and I know she won't either. But that doesn't mean I don't want her in my bed, even when I'm not there.

"Well, feel free to sleep in my bed if you want. You know, just so Olive has some company." Hopefully she can take a fucking hint.

"Oh, yeah. Wouldn't want the poor thing to get lonely."

"Definitely not. How could you let such a tiny thing be so sad? Poor little Olive." I go as far as to fake a sniffle.

"You're ridiculous, you know that."

"I've been told a few times."

"So, gonna tell me what the fight was about? It's the second one since we've been married and each time you've thrown the first punch." Dammit, I was hoping I was in the clear.

"I thought you only got on and watched right before I scored."

"The girls had it playing on the TV at work. I just happened to be mixing my clients color when it happened. Also, Soph and Evelyn were sending me BookTok thirst traps about it."

My brows furrow as I open one of those mini bags of Cashews. "Bookwhatnow?"

"BookTok. It's TikToks about books. You know, edits, recommendations, reviews, sneak peaks. The good side of TikTok." Katherine sighs into the phone, like she's disappointed I didn't know what BookTok is.

"Oh, yeah. I know what that is."

"Liar."

"Guilty." I take a seat on the edge of the bed and pull my neck tie loose.