Chapter 19: Meet the Parents

Start from the beginning

Hunter studies Eda's expression, coming to the realization that she is truly distressed by the thought of him bowing to her will in the same way he did Belos, "OK. I'll think about it."

"You're a good kid, Hunter. I just need to remember I can't treat you the same way I treat Luz. She'll push back if I tell her a plan she hates. You won't. And that's on me to remember, not you." Eda pats his shoulder, "Go take care of your head. I'm going to make a plan of attack for tonight."

"Just don't make it too complicated, OK?," he says as he heads for the door, "And I like the idea of having something I can say to give me an out if I feel like I need to get out of the conversation fast."

"Do you want to come up with something?" she asks.

"Maybe. Or maybe not. I'll let you know at lunch."

Eda smiles and waves, "Gotcha – at lunch." He leave the room and she sits down at the table with her mug for a few moments before finding a notepad and starting to sketch out a plan. She hates writing things down, but she knows this will be important to both Lilith and Camila, so she begrudgingly accepts her fate and takes notes.

When Steve returns, Hunter is still happily sewing. He knocks on the bedroom door and offers a break, but Hunter declines.

"So...see you at lunch, then?" Steve asks.

"Sure. Maybe after I talk to Camila, we could go for a ride? You've got the sidecar, right?"

Steve gives him a thumbs-up, "Sure thing, bud – just let me know if you want to go. I'm just doing whatever Eda says she needs for tonight until then."

Hunter nods, thanks him, and returns his attention to the project in front of him.

Camila knocks on his door not long before lunch, "So...Eda says you might want to have a talk?"

"Yeah, she suggested it," Hunter says, "And it might be a good idea."

"What's on your mind?"

He sets his project aside and moves over to sit on the bed; she takes the chair, "Well...I guess it's just the nervousness about school again. And feeling like it's going to be too hard and I'm going to not be good enough. And I'm not feeling so great about tonight, either. I mean, what if the dads don't like me? What if they think I'm just a spoiled brat because I'm the former Golden Guard? What if they think my voice is too annoying or they don't like what I wear or they think I'm just...I don't know, bad for some reason? I was Belos'...I don't know, minion? Apprentice? Something. And I don't want them to think I'm terrible because he was...is...."

Camila gestures to the bed beside him, "Can I sit next to you? I feel like you need a hug before we start to talk through any of that." He nods, so she moves and sits beside her. He snuggles against her as she draws him into her arms, "Now...where do you want me to start? School or dads?"

"School."

"OK. Well, I don't know much about witch schools, but I can tell you that Luz loves being able to learn there and she never loved school back home. She never felt like she fit in and she was always getting into trouble for her creative streak. But here, the way she thinks just works. I think you'll discover the same thing. But you have to take that first step and try, not just sit at home thinking about it."

"Yeah, I know. I'm wondering about starting in the middle of this week. Eda said we could talk to Principal Bump about it."

Camila smiles, "I think that's a good idea. Make a plan, stick to it. You have school supplies, you have a uniform, you have friends to go with you, and you have a number of adults here to encourage you and help you in your studies. You'll be OK, Hunter."