the woman who never died part 1

Sunlight filtered in through the windows, brightening up the large living space as Yasmin Knight headed down the stairs, black hair in loose curls and her phone pressed to her ear.

"Yes Georgia, I know," Yasmin stated, pausing for the voice on the other end to speak. "Surely you have other clients to bother?"

"You're my only client playing cop," was the blunt response Yasmin got, though she didn't miss the concern. "Seriously Yasmin, shadowing an HPD detective?"

Yasmin rubbed her forehead, walking into her kitchen. "Look, you knew I had writer's block, and you were the one who suggested I try something different."

"I was thinking more along the lines of taking advantage of sunny Honolulu's many attractions like surfing or diving, not running around chasing bad guys and dodging bullets."

"Surfing and diving don't really appeal to me, and I've only dodged one bullet so far," Georgia's exasperated sigh on the other end told everything Yasmin needed to know. "Seriously, Georgia, this is what I want to do."

There was a beat of silence before Georgia spoke her tone careful. "Is it really what you want to do or is a way for you to forget?"

Yasmin had been opening her fridge when Georgia asked her question and she paused, hand clenched tightly around the handle.

"Georgia, this has nothing to do with my mother, alright?"

Yasmin blinked back tears, hoping her voice wasn't shaking as much as she thought. "I'm not trying to bury my grief, I'm...I've been stuck, long before she died, and when this opportunity just lands in my lap how could I not take it, I mean..."

She closed the fridge, using her shoulder to hold her phone in place while she undid the cap on her orange juice and took a sip. "First hand experience on what the HPD does and the perfect muse for my main character, what could be better?"

Georgia made a low hum just as Yasmin's phone began to beep and she couldn't help but grin when she saw who it was. "Sorry Georgia, it's Detective Katsumoto, I got to take it."

"Just...do me a favor Yasmin, don't do anything that will make him arrest you please, I'd rather not bail you out of jail again."

"I pinkie promise, bye!"

Yasmin quickly ended the call before picking up the other line, her grin somehow wider even though the person on the other end couldn't see it.

"Detective Katsumoto, where should we meet?"

*********************************************************************

Detective Gordon Katsumoto sometimes wondered if he did something horrible in a past life, considering that it felt like he was being used as a punching bag.

"So, you are looking at the fiancé, right? I mean, number one rule in these kinds of cases is to look at the partner,"

And right now, Katsumoto thought as he turned to glare at Yasmin who blinked innocently at him, he was feeling like he was being punished for something.

"This is a car crash Knight, a hit-and-run which the fiancé was in."

"It makes for a bloody perfect alibi, doesn't it?" Yasmin pointed out cheerfully, her British accent coming through and Katsumoto really wished he wasn't stuck in an elevator.

"And why would Tara Moss's fiancé want to kill her?"

"Maybe he was having a passionate affair and decided to be with the other woman-oh, or maybe he got caught up in a smuggling operation, got in too deep and worried about his fiancée finding out so he called some of his smuggling friends and-"