Kiri scoffed underwater. Her thoughts were clear: why hadn't Grace visited her instead? Why hadn't she given me a message to pass along to her daughter? Wasn't she the one protecting Kiri? Why me?

I promised her I would protect you. And I will, I promised solemnly. I could tell tears were springing into her eyes, despite water already surrounding us.

This was in our vision, wasn't it? All the fighting. All the pain. All the loss.

I cracked a smile. Yeah, I got shot twice.

Kiri made a "wtf" face and made an alarmed motion. In response, I pointed to my shoulder and my waist, two places that had been punctured by the gun bullets. To my surprise, the wounds were completely healed already and completely gone. Without a scar, without a trace. It was as if I had never been shot in the first place.

It's healed now, but it wasn't ideal before, I told her grimly in attempt to lighten the conversation.

Still looking disturbed, she stretched her hand out to me.

Hold, she instructed. I clasped my hand around hers as we sank onto the ledge of the metal structure. The little bright orange tadpoles that were Eywa started to circle us. At first, it was just a few. Three or four. They liked to follow our hand motions and swirls and swarm around our intertwined hands. It seemed our connection was attracting more and more however, because soon the water was completely illuminated by the shining creatures that felt our spiritual energy. It was clear they were here to help.

Looking around at the wondrous, swirling orange creatures, I couldn't help thinking back to when Lo'ak was covered in them. On our first trip out hunting together. Was he okay? No, I don't have time to worry about it! Was this Eywa reaching out to me? Telling me this was what I was brought back for? To save my friends and my people? To save myself?

Maybe I won't lose anyone today after all.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Lo'ak's POV

I wandered endlessly through the ship like it was some sort of maze. Everywhere inside was the hanging bodies of Sky People murdered in battle—most likely by Y/N's carnivorous fish. I spotted a few of them still wriggling around in the water, but they let me pass just fine without the order from her to attack. Besides that, it was puzzles and puzzles of bleak metal structures and places that were once dry land.

Just when I began to panic, I found Dad barely supported by a metal rod-like ledge. He was twitching every few seconds, and clearly unconscious.

I got this, I encouraged myself with dread. Pushing him off and onto my shoulder, I slung one of his arms around and tried to pull him up.

Great Eywa, Dad, you're heavy! I inwardly groaned while struggling to carry his weight. Glancing around wildly, I tried to find an air pocket, but my eyesight was blurred by reflecting flashes of light casted by the flames and the pain of not knowing if everyone else was okay beginning to sting.

For some reason, the person I was most worried about was Y/N. Now that she was alive (not necessarily well, but alive), the dramatic feelings I felt when everyone thought she was dead were rolling away. What if I had confused my feelings? Was it all an illusion given by Eywa? I didn't even ask her what happened. Did I?

I can't think. Everything is a blur now.

So if I didn't exactly love her, then why was I so worried? But did I in the first place? Sure, I was indecisive. Of course I did. We were good friends. Anyone would be upset over a friend's death. Or, almost death.