CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Zacznij od początku

He pulled her away, walking her towards the table. "It's exactly what he's doing. He's going to be hanging around Nicolysse and give the idea that he's done with you. Ethan will come crawling out for his money and we'll have him right where we want him."

She opened her mouth to say more, but closed it when she couldn't find the right words. Trey had mentioned it might hurt her, and whatever she'd expected, it definitely wasn't him giving Nicolysse his time of the day.

"I understand," she muttered, casting one last glance at the two in time to see Nicolysse smirking victoriously. If only she knew she was being played. Lexi turned back to Jason. "What am I supposed to do then?"

Jason shrugged. "Trey said to play along. Make Nicolysse feel it's real. Look hurt when you see them together... things like that. And I'll do the comforting."

"That's easy," she murmured, tucking strands of her windblown hair behind her ears. "I'm already hurt despite knowing he has to."

"Sorry," he told her, squeezing her to his side. "I'm going to sit next to the others. Care to join us?"

"I don't see why not," she replied. She felt herself sinking in the sand the further they went. Her sandals felt like they were being pulled off her feet, slowing her progress. She managed the walk, plopping onto the bench as soon as they reached the group.

Melissa looked at her with sympathetic eyes. But it wasn't quite deep, and for some reason, Lexi felt compelled to ask. Since Mel was across the table, she texted.

Why are you looking at me like that?

Melissa read it, looked up at Lexi, then typed out a reply.

I know Trey had this planned but I felt like this might still hurt so I wanted to know you were okay.

Lexi smiled at Melissa after reading it then typed, you're not wrong there; I am still hurt. But I'll survive. At the end of the day, he's all mine.

Melissa gave her a brilliant smile, then lifted her drink in a silent cheer, taking a sip of it and turning to others. Translated, what she'd done meant 'I'm so proud of you'. As if suddenly remembering something, Melissa picked her phone again to type.

Trey is going to be really busy piecing together evidence and attending court hearings—maybe spending time with Nicolysse too to make this act more believable. I'm here for you in case it gets too much, yeah?

Lexi blinked, feeling emotional. Suddenly, she trusted Trey with this a lot more than she had two days ago when he'd asked her if she did. If he'd thought ahead about how distraught she would feel and had made provisions, that alone was okay. It was a reminder that at the end of everything, he'd be hers.

"Thank you," she mouthed. Melissa winked at her, then went back to her conversation.

Just when Lexi thought all was well, Trey came over with Nicolysse in tow. She allowed the scowl to show on her face, both hating the fact that the woman was clinging to her husband and playing the role of the displeased wife.

But when Trey's hand fell on her knee, squeezing, she felt better. Maybe... just maybe, this wasn't going to be so bad.

*

Andrew had joined them after he got back from work, and so far, neither Valerie nor Nicolysse had made a move. Trey kept meeting the eyes of his friends, each losing interest as time went by. Trey began feeling stupid for thinking anything was going to happen in the first place.

So, when Nicolysse suddenly excused herself, and when after a minute or less Valerie stood too, their suspicion rose. They became super alert, all of them sitting straight.