Chapter 14: Notes, Realizations, and Friendship

Start from the beginning

Lilith hesitantly rests her hand on his shoulder, "I'm sorry, Hunter. I don't know what to say. But how you were brought into this world doesn't change who you are now."

"I know. But still...I don't know how I can act like things are fine. And how do I tell Willow and Gus? Will they still like me?"

"Amity and Luz still like you, right?"

"Yeah...."

"So why do you think Gus and Willow are going to be any different?" she asks.

Hunter sits up and sips his tea, "I don't know."

"Gus found the book and started reading, didn't he?"

"Yeah."

"So he has an idea of what it entails and he's still fine with you. Why don't you believe Willow will be?"

He sighs, "Because I like her and I don't feel like I can tell her yet and I'm scared she won't want to be more than friends if she knows how I was born."

"Hunter...she knows what you are. She knows you were made, not born. None of this has deterred her yet and I'm pretty sure she likes you, too."

"Maybe I need to sleep on it and I'll feel better in the morning," he says, still looking defeated.

She nods, "I think it will. Go get some rest."

"Thanks Lilith," he says, "I'm glad I got to know you outside of the Emperor's Coven. I didn't used to think the greatest things about you when we were in it together, but now you're just Luz's cool aunt and Luz is my sister, so...guess I've gained an Aunt Lilith, too."

Lilith smiles at him, "I'm happy to be your aunt, Hunter. And because of the...I'm telling you again to go to bed."

He smiles back, "Thanks. Will you help me figure out what to say to Willow?"

"Yes, but tomorrow."

"Can I give you a hug?" Hunter asks her.

Lilith opens her arms, "Of course."

He rests against her and sighs, "Thanks. I feel a little better." He stands and takes his tea to the bedroom. Luz has the bed and Hunter eyes the blanket pile on the floor.

Instead, he sits on the edge of the bed, "Luz? You awake?"

"No."

He laughs softly, "Really?

"Yeah...totally not awake. What do you need?"

"I don't want to be on the floor tonight. It's been a rough day. Can we trade?"

Luz turns over to face him, "No, but you can join me."

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable or something," Hunter says tucking under the blankets.

"Are you OK?" she asks.

"Just trying to figure out how I feel about what I learned today," he answers.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Our Aunt Lilith told me I need to wait until tomorrow to sort things out," he says.

She giggles quietly, "Awww, you have an auntie. But yeah, sleep is good. Can you give me a little idea of what's on your mind?"

"Just worried how Gus and Willow will take everything," he says.

She takes his hand, "It'll be OK. Amity and I can help explain things, if you want. And you already told me Gus knows what made you, at least a little. And Willow cares about you so much, Hunter. She's going to be fine."