Everybody stands there sobbing with the only company they have, each other.

After a couple of minutes everyone seems to calm down but they still face the night sky as they let the rain wash the blood off their faces.

You wince as you slowly get up, walking beside On-jo and hold onto her hand tightly.

"How's your waist?" She turns and looks at you.

You look down at your waist and then back at her.

"It's fine." You smile reassuringly, but the truth is you weren't so sure if it was fine or not.

Cheong-san walks over to Joon-yeong.

"Joon-yeong. You know how zombies follow us if they hear us?" He asks

"yes.." Joon-yeong nods wondering where he's going with this.

"Maybe if we move every time there's thunder, they won't be able to." He suggests.

He turns and looks towards everyone, his eyes landing on you for the longest and then turns back to Joon-Yeong.

"I don't think anyone is coming to save us." He speaks up, "Wouldn't you rather die trying to get out than die here?"

Joon-yeong thinks for a second.

"All right then. What do you have in mind?" He asks Cheong-san.

"If we take the back door of the auditorium to the tennis courts, and then go right through the english center, we can get to the mountain." Cheong-san explains.

Joon-yeong looks in the direction Cheong-san is pointing in and slowly nods his head.

"Let's do it."

***

You all sat under the only sheltered bit on the rooftop, you sitting next to On-jo and Cheong-san stands up in front of everyone and explains the plan to the group.

"If we manage to reach the mountain, we can make it all the way to Yangdong. I've been hiking there a few times before with my dad." On-jo says

Wu-jin on the other side on you sighs.

"Even still, isn't this suicide?" He asks

"I'm not going. I'm scared. What are we gonna do if the zombies catch us?" Hyo-ryeong sheepishly says.

you frown.

"Hey, hyo-ryeong." you say her name

She turns and looks at you.

"Just imagine the feeling of being with your family again or the feeling of not having to worry about being infected." You try to reassure her and she gives a small nod in return.

"It's not like anyone is going to save us if we stay here. We're the only ones who can save ourselves" Cheong-san honestly says.

You nod your head in agreement.

"I agree. If we stay here, we're going to die of starvation or dehydration."

"Let's go." Cheong-san says, "If anything goes wrong, I'll scream and lead the zombies away."

"No." you say firmly.

"what?" cheong-san replies puzzled.

"You're not sacrificing yourself. End of story." You answer.

"Don't say that." Su-hyeok chimes in, "We're all gonna make it."

Everybody nods.

Cheong-san looks at him.

"If anyone has to die tonight, it will be me."

"No!" You stand up, but regret it shortly after due to the pain.

"Nobody is dying. Nobody is sacrificing themselves, we can't bear to lose anyone else. Okay? Please stop." You look Cheong-san in the eye and he slowly nods his head knowing he can't make you change your mind.

"Because of the rain, all the scents came to me at once. They got mixed up. The rain is really loud too." Nam-ra speaks up, "I'm sure the zombies' senses are dulled.

"If that's what a half-bie says, it should be reliable." Dae-su replies.

"What's a half-bie?" Su-hyeok asks Dae-su.

"A half zomb..." Dae-su starts but stops. "Someone you can rely on. You guys ready?"

Everyone nods.

"Nam-ra is strong. She'll keep up. Let's take her word and go." Dae-su adds on.

"I'm not strong right now." Nam-ra admits.

"Why not?" You ask.

She looks at you and then looks down at her hands.

"I don't know."

Ji-min looks at Cheong-san.

"I think some of us might not be able to keep pace." She says.

"We can't have anyone fall behind, let's pair up and hold hands. For protection" Cheong-san answers, his eyes wandering to you.

You look at him and hold out your hand which he gladly holds onto.

Hyo-ryeong rejects Dae-su's hand and grabs onto Ji-min.

Dae-su turns to Su-hyeok but gets rejected again as Su-hyeok grabs onto Nam-ra's hand.

Dae-su turns to Wu-jin and Joon-yeong but the two boys have already decided to pair up.

Dae-su turns to On-jo. On-jo looks up at you and then looks at Cheong-san. You nod your head in Dae-su's direction, indicating for her to go with him so he's not all alone.

"Okay." She says, holding onto Dae-su's hand as he helps her up.

"Stay close to me." Cheong-san says, squeezing your hand.

You nod, "Let's survive tonight."

word count: 1307 words
sorry for the shorter chapter! thank you for reading :) don't be a silent reader, comment your thoughts!! 🫶