𝙨𝙞𝙭𝙩𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚.

Start from the beginning

The curtains had been drawn, only casting a faint beam of light into the room. 

Another small sigh fell from his lips as his eyes landed on the figure curled up in the bed. The single beam of light seemed to land directly on her, illuminating her presence in the dark room. 

"Lottie?"

His voice was gentle as he spoke, apprehensive and careful.

She didn't move, her back turned to him as she lay curled under the sheets. 

Days had passed, and she had yet to move from that spot in the bed. 

Occasionally, she'd speak to him, answer his questions. But she refused to leave the room. Refused to go anywhere near his father. 

Carefully sitting down at the edge of the bed, Rafe peered over to ensure she was awake. Her eyes were opened, dead-set on the wall in front of her. 

"Wheezie and I are going to go down to the beach for a bit...you should come. It will be good for you to get out of this room." His voice was just above a whisper, as if afraid of hurting her with words. 

Not moving, Charlotte spoke, her voice even quieter than Rafe's. "I don't feel well."

Less than two weeks ago, Charlotte Carrera had almost bled out on that ship. 

Quick work from the doctor on board, a blood transfusion, and a surgery performed by the resident doctor once they arrived on the island had saved her life. But just because the girl had a new lease on life, didn't mean she was eager to take it. 

Something clenched in Rafe's chest as he resisted the urge to reach out and touch her. He had tried his best to keep his distance, knowing it was he who put her in this position in the first place. 

"Do you need anything?" He wondered, eyes scanning her face. 

Her cheeks were sunken in, eyes empty.

She was as unrecognizable as he was. 

"No." She answered, eyes still locked on the bare wall. "Tell Wheezie I'm sorry."

He wanted to speak again, but no words could form on his lips. 

Silently, he stood, making his way across the room. 

Before exiting, he looked to her once again, as if wish she was going to get up, smile at him, and take his hand before finally leaving the God forsaken room. 

But she did none of that. 

As softly as he could, Rafe Cameron closed the door behind him, leaving Charlotte Carrera to wither away. 

─☼☼☼─

-CHARLOTTE-

Charlotte waited a few moments after the door was closed, counting the seconds in her head. 

When she was sure Rafe wasn't coming back, she threw the blankets off of herself, wincing slightly at the sudden movement.