capri-suns and coping

⊱ ────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ────── ⊰

" and know that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good. „
— john steinbeck

⊱ ────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Unknown Number: psssttt L/n-san

Me: who is this?

Unknown Number: Yagami Niko, silly! who else? (⁀ᗢ⁀)

Me: oh right

Yagami ^^: random question but do u wanna come to the practice match the boys team are having on thursday?

Yagami ^^: when u were watching them earlier u seemed interested 👀

You stared at the text message while debating what to answer with. On one hand, volleyball was something you didn't enjoy since Manako wasn't around anymore, and on the other hand, you really wanted to remind yourself of the good memories from junior high.

For the majority of junior high, you played alongside Manako on the girl's team. You weren't particularly fond of it but you couldn't say no to the older girl no matter how hard you tried. The first time you met her she immediately dragged you along to sign up for the team even though you didn't know a single thing about the sport. She was spouting nonsense about how you had 'good libero legs' (whatever that meant). Because you were younger than her and drank your respect juice, you didn't refuse.

You squeezed the last of the juice out the stolen capri-sun and texted Yagami back.

Me: sure

Me: also I'm not interested in the way you think I am

Yagami ^^: oh? then do tell because i'm dying to get to know u

Yagami ^^: u seem fun (⌒▽⌒)☆

Me: I used to play in junior high. that's all

You put your phone down after that.

Lining up your shot, you chucked the empty capri-sun at the bin in your room. The metallic packet hit the side of it before falling with a flop on the carpet. "Seriously?" you groaned and flung yourself back onto the bed. The comfy mattress beneath you was calling your name, making a smile spread on your face.

Just as you closed your eyes to relax, your aunt yelled up the stairs, "Y/n! Dinner!".

⊱ ── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ── ⊰

There was something a lot less stressful about going to school the next day. Wednesdays were always your best days. It had been like that since you were a child. Anything lucky always happened on a Wednesday somehow. It was like the universe took one good look at you and said, "Wednesday's child doesn't have to be filled with woe"—which you appreciated despite how little it was.

Aunt Tori didn't drive you to school today. You had decided that walking wouldn't be too hard. You just forgot to consider how long it would take you... You were running late.

So maybe Wednesday wasn't exactly the best day every time around.

Yagami had been texting you all night and this morning just blabbering on about random things with you. It made for good company, considering you didn't know or talk to a lot of people. She was now spamming you to find out where you were, but you ignored them for now. She'd see you when she saw you (whenever that would be).