Chapter 6: Breakfast with Eda

Începe de la început

"This is...different. I'm still getting used to how much of how I was raised was just...wrong," Hunter says.

"There's a lot here that's going to be different," Eda says, "This is a house of wild magic and misadventure."

"Yeah, but I think I need different. I don't know where I fit and how I'm supposed to live...I'm not going to figure that out of I don't spend time places that are different and with people I don't entirely understand."

"Well you've come to the right place for that, kiddo - we've got a nervous archivist, her bestie the owl tube, a scout who defected to help me rob a police station and burn a jail, and me, a cursed harpy with no respect for authority and a flair for criminal enterprise."

Hunter laughs, "Well I just spent a few months living in the human realm, so I think I can adapt. I can now say I've seen a giraffe."

Eda raises her eyebrows in disbelief as she brings him a plate, "Now that's a story I'm going to have to hear."

"That one's going to have to wait for Gus," he answers, "It was his idea."

"Understood, but I'm gonna hold you to that."

Hunter starts eating and she settles back in, "I know it's probably not like anything you had in the castle, but...."

"No, it's good - thank you."

She smiles, "You're welcome."

He takes his time with breakfast while Eda sips and watches the day unfold outside her window. Hooty chatters to himself as he chases bugs and she hears the rest of her family talking in the distance.

"Eda?" Hunter asks.

"Hmmm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot, kid."

"When you're kinda...not like other people, how do you go from feeling like you'll never fit in and that's a bad thing, to making it something you're proud of? You're practically a legend, and you always seem confident in your decision to live as a wild witch."

Eda nods and thinks a moment, "Well...I can't tell you what's going to work for you. Me? The covens just never made sense to me, so I rejected the whole thing. I was already used to dodging trouble, so it wasn't much different than what I did at school. I suppose a rebellious streak and my curiosity made me confident that the choice was right. I knew I wasn't ever going to be like everyone else - whether because of my curse or my magic or whatever, and I figured it was more important to be happy with who I am than be miserable trying to fit in. It's not that I didn't try at one point, but I just reached a point where I was tired of feeling bad and it was freeing to let go of everybody else's expectations."

"I don't know if that's going to work for me," Hunter says, "And given my face...."

"You have scars, I'm missing an arm...we both have to learn to accept that. You'll figure it out, whether you start off with it visible or if you use a concealment stone to start small."

"Belos taught me that only cowards refused to show who they were to the world."

"And then he wore a mask for fifty years whenever he was in public," Eda says, "Not sure you can trust that judgment." Hunter chuckles. Eda continues, "Look, Camila told me a little about how you were raised. Belos was harsh and unforgiving and a hypocrite."

"He made me in more ways than one," Hunter sadly replies, "Some stuff, I don't know how I'm going to unlearn. I felt like it was easier when I was in the human realm and away from everything."

"Yeah, it might be something to think about - how did it feel different, why, and can you do that here, or do you need to go live there for a little while after this all blows over. But also...did you ever think about how much you've also made you? You learned how to make friends, you went against everything Belos wanted for you and found yourself a Palisman. You learned how to question everything that happened to you after you were inside Belos' mind. And Luz tells me you're interested in wild magic. He didn't do any of that. Maybe he put you together and brought you to life, but you've done all the work to discover who you are and what you value."

"Guess I never thought of it that way."

Eda hesitates before continuing, "Look, I'm not sure if this is a good time to tell you this, given...well, it'll make sense. But I have a strong suspicion I know who carved Flapjack. If I'm right, the fact that he chose you means something more than a Palisman adopting someone usually would. He chose you for a reason. I hope that doesn't make it worse."

Hunter shakes his head, "No, I know there was something special about him...more than just that he looked at a magicless witch and thought I was worthy. I know Belos probably wanted to kill me just for having him. Instead...he made me watch him kill Flapjack with my own hand....". Hunter's voice trails off and he sniffles, fighting back fresh tears.

Eda hands him a tissue, "There's a lot of reasons I'd like to tear Belos limb-from-limb and what he's been willing to do to you just...I'd add some special lingering torment to whatever I'd do to him, just for that."

"Thanks, Eda."

"You've got some incredible, caring people in your corner, Hunter. Never forget that," Eda says. She hears the front door, "And there's a bunch of them now. Take you time with breakfast. We're meeting up with everybody at headquarters today, but that's later. And anyway, taking care of you's more important than a meeting."

Luz enters the kitchen a few minutes later, "Hey, Hunter! 'Morning. How're you feeling?"

He shrugs, picking at his breakfast, "Not all that great, but I'm trying. Eda made me food."

She comes up behind him and wraps her arms around him, "Trying's awesome. Keep doing that and you'll figure out how to be OK."

He leans his cheek against hers, "Thanks, Sis."

"You're welcome, Bro." He again quietly laughs when she calls him 'Bro,' and Luz smiles, "There's a little sliver of happy." She gives him another squeeze and then sits down at the table with him.

"I just...never thought I'd have family like this. And it means even more, knowing what I am."

"Who you are is Hunter. Nothing else really matters."

"It kinda does to me, though. I just...don't know so much. And knowing I was made to obey orders and he always intended to kill me when I started to question him...that hurts."

"Yeah, it probably will for a while. But remember, he's not the one who gets to define you."

Eda joins them as Camila takes a seat, "Kid, listen to my little witchlet. You're the only one who gets to tell the world who you are. Not him. Not even us. There'll be some bumps in the road, but that's OK. We're all still figuring something out about ourselves."

He nods and continues with his breakfast as his companions talk about the upcoming meeting and what they need to share with the others.

"Don't tell anyone else I'm a Grimwalker, OK? Or that I killed Flapjack? I want to tell Darius on my own, and some people...I don't know. Maybe I'll change my mind In the moment."

Camila nods, "I'll remind your other friends, too. We need to all be on the same page so you feel safe."

"Not sure I can feel safe right now. But maybe someday."

After he finishes breakfast, Steve lends him another set of clothes that he sizes down with a little bit of magic. He dresses and meets them in the living room before everyone heads out to headquarters.