05 - School's worst class

Jonathan started at me.

"Are you sure?" He sounds surprised but calm at the same time. He cleans his mouth with a napkin before I answer with "I'm sure"

So we do. And we spend the next hour talking all about it. I'm finding out stuff I didn't know before, like how involved officer Hoper was with the investigation. Apparently he was close with mom so he really wants to help us find her. Hopper, as Jonathan calls him now, has been updating my brother on any sudden movement on the police that could be of harm to the investigation, like when they were ready to drop the case. I remember that there was a big issue with the cops and Jonathan a couple of weeks ago because of something, I guess that was it. After that incident, Jonathan because even more involved with the public updates and news. He began writing the articles with the newest information, getting help from Nancy since she knows how the industry works. Thankfully they didn't drop moms case, because three days ago, the police found some belongings of mom in the woods: her phone and the house keys. They said that it was all in perfect condition so they could analyze her last texts and contacts. Now we are still waiting for a response.

I listen through Jonathan's words closely and focused. It's weird to hear all of this information so late, it makes me feel so unsure of all of my emotions. Maybe we do have a chance of finding her alive after all.

"Will" Jonathan reaches my hand and I look to him. He's carrying an expression I can't decipher, but I know he means it. He always does.

"We will find her. I'm sure she's- mom's waiting for us somewhere. Anywhere"

And I feel hopeful for the first time ever.

...

Since today's Wednesday, we've got biology class. I'm not really looking out for it ever since the teacher tormented us with the fact that we were opening frogs. It isn't exactly what I would like to do. I mean, I get it? it's important to know the body and organs and all of that shit; but couldn't we know that with just pictures?

Either way, i'll be doing exactly what my professor tell me to do. I don't want to put on more weigh on Jonathan's shoulders by failing classes. The school is already making an exception with me by letting me have more time on homework and such things like it.

I walk throughout the school halls hurriedly, not even stopping when I hear my name said from behind.

"Dude you've been basically running away from everyone today" Lucas comes up to me and I try to squirm away. It's not like I don't wanna see them, but I know that if I hang out with the party, Mike will be there and it'll probably distract me from the more important stuff.

I really don't want to see him.

"Sorry I've been busy" I make up a quick lie but I'm sure Lucas can tell by his frown.

"You're lying Will" he straight up tells me. I just shrug in response. It's not like I have to explain myself entirely since he'll be communicating all of this conversation to the others.

I feel a slow burning sensation on my chest for a second as a memory flashes through my eyes.

"Friends don't lie"

Thats what mom always said. When I first came to Hawkins without my dad, things were extremely difficult for me. Dad was always screwing with my brain by saying hurtful stuff- He called me names and tried to get me be more like him: a tough macho man who only knows how to boss around everyone, and never gets a no as an answer.

With mom things seem to get better. We were close as a family and i actually enjoyed spending time at home. But what she didn't know was that I was hiding a lot of issues inside of me, waiting for something exterior to make it explode. A hatred for my dad so strong that I was afraid of what I was able to do. As a teenager with poor physical strength I guess I would've only gotten as far as yelling, but like I explained, it was a matter of time.

Mom seemed to notice me struggle with bullies at school. She always liked to ask me about it, worried that maybe i would get hurt. But one day I just couldn't contain it and i let myself cry.

i cried all night long in my bed, trying my best to not wake up anyone.

But mom did.

She came by my side and just asked me "what's wrong?" with so much empathy. I wanted to let my emotions go, but my head didn't let me. Telling her would've made everything real. My shitty dad and shitty school life.

"its nothing" i said through breaths. It was tiring to pretend, but so worth it.

"Friend dont lie" She stated. And thats what broke me. That phrase held so much power in me. After all, she was my friend and I did trust her even with the worst version of myself.

"You know we aren't mad at you, right?" Lucas voice brings me back to reality.

"What does that mean?"

"for not showing up to Max's introduction to the party" He looks at me sincerely as if he's searching for something in my own expression.

"Oh I know" I try to shrug off. I actually had forgotten about that.

"So what's going on?" Lucas insisted. He was a great friend and a nice person, but whenever he got like this, it annoyed me.

"It's nothing, really" I say, and try to walk away quickly, but before I leave, I turn around and assure him by saying "and I'll see you guys later" with a smile.

I have just one class left, and unfortunately it's my least favorite: chemistry. I really struggle understanding how on earth does it work, and why would we ever need it. I mean. I guess if your thinking on becoming a chemist it'll be helpful, but for the rest of us? Nothing else than a class waiting to be failed.

But even though I didn't enjoy Chemistry, I had to get myself together and make it through.