Chapter Four - Rewritten but Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

Cover credit goes to Abyss-of-Crazy for the hella amazing cover art! I hope you all love it as much as I do.
~

Chapter Four

We walked through the house – which was surprisingly bigger than it looked from the outside – and I couldn't help but admire everything within it. I had been expecting all sorts of strange things: brooms that swept themselves, bubbling pots, cobwebs in all the corners, but there was none of that. It was actually a very beautiful house on the inside, with nice, neat looking furniture and organised spaces. Part of me was a little disappointed that the house looked so normal, and the other part of me was relieved.

Melissa took us to the pet room to put our horses – and Missi – away, and I was impressed again by the giant indoor garden that just appeared out of no where it seemed. I guess there are some magical aspects about the house after all, I thought to myself as she led us back through the house again. If she did plan to harm us, there was no way I would be able to remember the way out again. We entered a large living space with luscious looking couches and a giant blue fire in the centre of the room.

While Renaldo and I took a seat on one of the couches, Melissa simply sat down in the air as though she was in a seat.

"So what brings you here? I mean, most are scared of me."

Renaldo swallowed nervously, and I could see his face getting paler. He clearly wasn't find all of this as fascinating as I was, "Well, yer see, my lady here has a wie problem."

I pulled down the sleeve of the blouse to reveal my shoulder and showed the Snow Witch my marking. She processed what she was seeing and her eyes widened. She quickly jumped up and flicked her arms, all the windows and doors shutting and locking through her command. She stormed over to me and grabbed my sleeve, pulling it back up again,

"My dear, never show that in public. The King-"

"Already has a large price on my head," I said and brushed her hand away. She wandered back and forth.

"You could have given me some warning! I like having my privacy up here. What if the King knew that you were hiding here? Then I would have a price on my head too!" She breathed in to calm herself down and sat back down – once again, in the air, "Ok, so what do you want me to do? I can't create dragons or anything idiotic like that. Even a sorceress has a limit to their magic, and mine stops at creating life."

I shook my head at her misunderstanding, "We don't expect you to. We need you to help us find if there is any reason behind this," I gesture to my shoulder with confusion. "Why would I suddenly get this marking just because I touched my shoulder? I've touched it plenty of times before in my life, so why now? Haven't dragons have been gone for years?"

The witch laughed, looking at me like I was the strangest person she had ever met, "Don't be stupid!"

"How long has it been since you left the house?" I asked her snappily, not liking how quick she was to judge, and she stopped laughing quite quickly after that. She actually had to think about how long it had been since she last left? That made me worry about her sanity,

"A dozen centuries, probably. Give or take."

I sighed and slumped down into a chair. What use would she be if she had no idea what the modern world was like? "Great. Well, I'm not being funny. There are no more dragons, and haven't been any for years. Most people just think of them as legends now."