chapter 1

"Hey, underachiever!" Flynn Taylor's bright face appears beside Julie. She ignores me, as usual.

"Hey, disappointment," Julie replies in her monotone voice. I roll my eyes at their exchange and start to walk away.

"Okay, I know you don't want me to ask, but have you figured out what you're gonna do today?" I freeze as Flynn's voice floats over to me. Julie hasn't said a word to me about her decision about the music program. It's not surprising, but I'm still curious about my twin's choice.

"I'll know in the moment." I inwardly sigh. It's been a year since Julie did anything

"Really, Jules? That's all you're giving me? Mrs. Harrison said this was your last chance."

"I know. I was there." I shake my head and continue walking, accidentally walking into somebody. I breathe a sigh of relief as I realize it's my best friend, Carrie Wilson. 

"Bella!" She squeals. "Do you wanna help me pass out flyers for the rally?"

I smile at her enthusiasm and her nickname. Carrie is the only person who calls me Bella. Everyone else calls me Isa or straight up Isabella. "Of course I do!" I take a stack and start to pass the papers around the hallway. Snippets of Julie and Flynn's conversation reach my ears and I hold my breathe. 

"Ugh, what is she handing out?" 

"Desperation?" 

My fists curl around the papers I'm holding. Oblivious, Carrie walks up to them and happily hands them the homemade flyers. "Here you go. My group's performing at the spirit rally tomorrow. I'm sure you guys have nothing better to do," She jokes.

I glance to the side as Nick walks up to my side. "Trouble in paradise?" He quips.

"Oh my gosh, Carrie, thank you so much!" Flynn mocks. Carrie grits her teeth.

"Oh my gosh, Flynn, don't bother coming!" She mimics in Flynn's rude tone. Carrie confidently walks to me and Nick, but her face is falling. I put an arm around her, and she turns into me.

"What am I doing wrong, Bella?" She whispers, her voice muffled in my shoulder.

"Nothing! You are doing nothing wrong." I soothe. I peek at Nick for confirmation to hand her to him. 

"Demon!" I hear Flynn call from her spot at the lockers. I glare at Flynn before smiling at Carrie, trying to calm her nerves. Nick guides her toward her next class, murmuring pacifying words the whole way.

I close my eyes and groan. I don't get why Julie and Flynn hated Carrie all of a sudden. We used to be so close. They hated Carrie after her dad's music career took off. Why couldn't they be happy for her? She worked hard for her band, Dirty Candy. She and I handmade costumes, wrote songs, and choreographed music. Carrie repeatedly begs me to join Dirty Candy, but I don't out of respect for Julie. I may not like her, but she is my sister.

The ringing bell jolts me out of my thoughts. I see Julie and Flynn scurry down the hallway. I sigh and head to my engineering class. 

                                                                              _-*-_

After school, I walk to my locker where Carrie and I usually meet up. I stop in my tracks when I see Julie whispering furiously to her. Carrie's face looks calm, but I can see that she is trying not to cry. I storm up them both.

"What's going on here?" I say skeptically. Julie turns to me with a bright- fake- smile. 

"I was just talking to Carrie about her performance tomorrow!"